Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread
Yield 6 -8 slices
- 2 T sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 T vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup high quality gluten free flour (I used Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend)
- 3/4 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup frozen corn (optional but recommended!)
- 1 T butter for greasing skillet
- Turn oven on to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together sugar, egg, milk, and vinegar.
- Add butter and whisk until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and corn and stir with a spoon until batter is mostly smooth (a few small lumps is OK).
- Put the 1 T butter into a 10" cast iron skillet (you can use a 9" cake pan if you don't have one) and set pan inside the oven. Watch the pan and remove as soon as the butter is melted.
- When butter is melted, remove from the oven and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan and up the sides a little.
- Pour batter into the skillet or pan and bake (be sure oven is preheated first) for 18-20 minutes, until edges are golden brown and/or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Recipe by Life After Wheat at https://thereislifeafterwheat.com/2016/05/gluten-free-skillet-cornbread/