One pan is all you’ll need for this hearty supper! It’s packed with everything you would find in your favorite cabbage roll recipe: savory meat, rice, crisp-tender cabbage, and tangy tomato sauce.
Have you ever tried cabbage rolls? I have once or twice and enjoyed them, but ditched the idea because prep time needs to be short when you have 4 little people underfoot. As St. Patrick’s Day approached, I wanted to try a meal that would fit the holiday but not be too time consuming. I’ve always loved cabbage (hello, coleslaw!) and this seemed like the perfect way to include it in our St. Patty’s dinner. It has everything you love about a great cabbage roll, but without the prep time or the mess, plus…cheese. (if you’re dairy free, no worries! Use a substitute or leave it off and this dish will still taste great!)
This gluten free meal quickly became a favorite of mine because:
- Easy prep
- Combo of meat, grains, and veggies all in one pan
- Topped with gooey melted cheese. That is all.
- Quick clean up (this is my personal fav)
- Every one of our 4 littles asked for seconds or thirds. And there was cabbage in it. Seriously? Let’s make this every night! 😉
Whether you’re a cabbage lover or the jury’s still out on whether you should include it in your menu rotation, this recipe is worth a try.
Savory meat in a tangy tomato sauce with sauteed onions, rice, and crisp-tender cabbage smothered in ooey-gooey melted cheese. Ready in under an hour with only one pan to wash, this gluten free recipe is a winner!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I will receive compensation at no additional cost to you. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too!
One Pan Cabbage Casserole
*gluten-free *soy-free *oat-free *nut-free *dairy-free option
One Pan Cabbage Casserole
Yield 4 -6 servings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (I used basmati)
- 4 cups roughly chopped, lightly packed, cabbage (about 3 handfuls or 2/3 of a small head)
- 1 T butter optional
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 T gluten free worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat a 12" skillet or 2 qt saucepan over medium heat. Add hamburger and brown until almost done.
- Add onion and continue to cook until hamburger is fully cooked and onion is translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, "except cheese", stir gently to combine, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Top with cheese, replace lid, and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
***Please be sure all ingredients you use are gluten free.