One pan is all you’ll need for this hearty supper! This one-pan cabbage casserole packed with everything you would find in your favorite cabbage roll recipe: savory meat, rice, crisp-tender cabbage, and tangy tomato sauce.
Have you ever tried cabbage rolls? I have once or twice and enjoyed them, but ditched the idea because prep time needs to be short when you have 4 little people underfoot. As St. Patrick’s Day approached, I wanted to try a meal that would fit the holiday but not be too time consuming.
I’ve always loved cabbage (hello, coleslaw!) and this seemed like the perfect way to include it in our St. Patty’s dinner. It has everything you love about a great cabbage roll, but without the prep time or the mess, plus…cheese. (if you’re dairy free, no worries! Use a substitute or leave it off and this dish will still taste great!)
What I love about this one-pan cabbage casserole:
- Easy prep
- Combo of meat, grains, and veggies all in one pan
- Topped with gooey melted cheese. That is all.
- Quick clean up (this is my personal fav)
- Every one of our 4 littles asked for seconds or thirds. And there was cabbage in it. Seriously? Let’s make this every night! 😉
Whether you’re a cabbage lover or the jury’s still out on whether you should include it in your menu rotation, this recipe is worth a try.
Savory meat in a tangy tomato sauce with sauteed onions, rice, and crisp-tender cabbage smothered in ooey-gooey melted cheese. Ready in under an hour with only one pan to wash, this gluten free recipe is a winner!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I will receive compensation at no additional cost to you. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (I used basmati)
- 4 cups roughly chopped, lightly packed, cabbage (about 3 handfuls or 2/3 of a small head)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire or soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese, optional
- Preheat a 12" skillet or 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add hamburger and brown until almost done.
- Add onion and continue to cook until hamburger is fully cooked and onion is translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese, stir gently to combine, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Top with cheese, replace lid, and cook another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
You can use any type or white rice that will cook in 20 minutes. My favorites are basmati and jasmine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Premium Heat Resistant Meat Chopper, Masher & Smasher for Hamburger Meat, Ground Beef, Turkey & More, Hamburger Chopper Utensil, Ground Beef Chopper Tool & Meat Fork - by Zulay Kitchen
Redmond Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 4.75 Ounce Shaker (1 Pack)
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone
Good Cook 7-Inch Fine Edge Santoku Knife
Lundberg Family Farms - Organic California White Basmati Rice, Pantry Staple, Great for Cooking, Non-Sticky, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO, USDA Certified Organic, Vegan, Kosher (32 oz, 3-Pack)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1025mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 39g