Raise your hand if you love brownies! Now you can satisfy that craving a little quicker with these gluten free brownie cookies – filled with all the rich, fudgey goodness you love about brownies, but in a nice portable package 😉
Chocoholics unite! these gluten free brownie cookies are a game changer. What do you love most about a brownie…Is it the fudgey inside? The rich chocolate flavor? Or maybe the mixins like your favorite baking chips? These cookies have it all, and of course they’re gluten free to boot.
We have a cherished brownie recipe that has been passed down from my mom and improved and de-glutened over the years. It’s one I’ve been waiting to post until the perfect moment…but then one day I decided to make brownies (for my parents, no less) and wanted something that would be easy to package and wouldn’t run the risk of drying out. Enter: Brownie Cookies.
These little guys are so beautiful and taste every bit as good as they look. You can store them on the counter for several days (if they last that long!), take a batch on your next road trip, or pop some in the freezer for later. If you’re looking for a great summer treat (we can dream, right? we built a snowman yesterday), pop a bag of gluten free brownie cookies in the freezer and thaw them most of the way. SO good!
The best part is you can customize these cookies any way you want! Add your favorite chocolate chip or swap those out for peanut butter chips (pictured here), white chocolate chips, or chopped candy bars. I plan on using Dark Chocolate Reeses Cups next time 🙂 Any way you choose to enjoy these cookies, you’re sure to enjoy them a whole lot!
Before you print out the recipe, please read these tips for all things brownies:
- Babysit these bad boys! Brownies are best slightly under-done, and these gluten free brownie cookies are no exception. Take them out just before you think they’re actually done. They will continue to cook and set up after you remove them from the oven, and you definitely want a chewy, fudgy center!
- Flour matters. My favorite flour for brownies (and a lot of other recipes) is Mama’s Almond Blend Flour. I recommend you use this because that’s what I used, but if you decide on another, please be sure it doesn’t have bean flours and it’s a lighter (not whole grain) blend. It’s a treat, eat some beans with your dinner and enjoy a cookie without a funky aftertaste.
- I LOVE these pre-cut parchment sheets! Use them every time you bake cookies for perfect texture and easy cleanup.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I will receive compensation at no additional cost to you. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too! Thank you for helping support this site and all the content here 🙂
***Please be sure all ingredients you use are gluten free.
Gluten Free Brownie Cookies
Yield 3 dozen cookies
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 T oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups high quality gluten free flour blend (I used Mama's Almond Blend)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups baking chips or chopped candy bars
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in oil, sugar, and cocoa powder until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla with a sturdy spoon until mixture is smooth and completely combined.
- Add flour, xanthan gum, and sea salt and stir until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Scoop batter using a 1" cookie scoop or a spoon, spacing cookies 2-3" apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until cookies appear to be almost done. They will continue baking as they cool.
- Let sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.
- Store on the counter up to 3 days. These cookies freeze well.