Looking for a homemade, all-purpose gluten free flour mix? Look no further! This recipe has been specially formulated for yeast breads/rolls, muffins, and quick breads.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you purchase something through one of these links, I receive a small comission which helps me to bring you more FREE content. Everything I link to is either personally vetted by me (most of these items are), or something I have researched and think my own family would enjoy.
Thank you so much for supporting Life After Wheat!
This is a simple, all-purpose, gluten free flour mix that is easy to make and yields a great taste and texture when converting your favorite recipes to gluten free.
I spent several years developing a flour mix that would have some whole grains and also lend a soft, non-gritty, and light texture that mimicks that of wheat, and now I’m sharing it with you!
This recipe works best for cakes, yeast breads/rolls, quick breads, cakes, and muffins. I don’t recommend this blend for cookies, but my friend Brianna from Flippin’ Delicious has a great flour blend and cookbook for that!
If you would rather buy a pre-made gluten free flour blend, there are some great ones! Here is a list of my favorite store-bought gluten free flour blends and which recipes they work well with.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you would like to make enough flour to keep on hand. Just use it within about a month so it stays fresh.
There is no need to refrigerate your flour, just store it in an airtight container in your pantry or a kitchen cupboard. If you do choose to keep it in the fridge, be sure to remove it before hand and let it get to room temp before using it in a recipe.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MIX?
- white rice flour
- brown rice flour or sorghum flour, or a combination of both
- tapioca starch or tapioca flour, they are the same thing
- potato starch not potato flour, they are very different!
- xanthan gum
HOW DO YOU MAKE GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MIX?
It’s easy! When making this or any other recipe, always measure by stirring the flour (or starch), spooning into a measuring cup, then leveling off with the flat side of a knife.
- Measure all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Whisk thoroughly.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes. This recipe was formulated using tapioca and potato starch and will yield the best results with those, but you can sub arrowroot starch or corn starch if needed.
I have successfully subbed sorghum flour for the brown rice flour, but haven’t ever tried subbing for the white flour as well. If you try it, please come back and comment to help others out!
RECIPES THAT WORK WELL WITH THIS GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MIX:
WAIT! Don’t lose this recipe – Pin for later!
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour, sorghum flour, or a combination of the two (I usually use half and half)
- 2/3 cups potato starch
- 2/3 cups tapioca starch
- 2 tsp xanthan or guar gum
- Whisk all ingredients together (by hand or with your KitchenAid whisk attachment) and store in an airtight container.
- Use cup-for-cup to replace wheat flour. If you are using this flour to make yeast products, add an additional 1/2 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool location (does not require refrigeration). Use within 1 month.
- This blend works best for yeast breads/rolls and quick breads/muffins. It is not recommended for cookies.
Best for yeast breads/rolls and muffins/quick breads. Not recommended for cookies.
If you can't tolerate potato or tapioca starch, you may substitute arrowroot or cornstarch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Bob's Red Mill Organic White Rice Flour, 24 Ounce
- Made in USA Xanthan Gum (8 oz), Premium Quality, Food Grade Thickener, Non GMO, Gluten Free, Use in Cooking, Baking, Sauces, Soups and more. Suitable for Vegetarian, Kosher & Halal. Use for Keto Diet
- Anthony's Organic Potato Starch, Unmodified, 2 lb, Gluten Free & Non GMO, Resistant Starch
- Anthony's Organic Tapioca Flour Starch, 5lbs, Gluten Free & Non GMO
- Anthony's Brown Rice Flour, 5 lb, Batch Tested and Verified Gluten Free, Product of USA
- Anthony's Arrowroot Flour, 2.5 lb, Batch Tested Gluten Free, Non GMO
Nutrition Information:Yield: 11 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 4g