The BEST Gluten Free Flour

The BEST gluten free flours, and recipes that work well with each. #glutenfree #glutenfreeflour #glutenfreebaking

Overwhelmed by all the gluten free flour mixes on the market? Here’s a list of our favorites, along with proven recipes for each so you can get back into the kitchen and enjoy fresh baked goods!

This post may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure for details. Thank you for supporting Life After Wheat!

Flour is the staple of baking, and just because you’re living a gluten free lifestyle doesn’t  mean you have to give up on having fresh, homemade baked goods!

Gluten free products have come a LONG way in the past few years, and there are so many great options to help you achieve the results you want when you’re baking your favorite goodies. We make an effort to try every gluten free flour we can, and here you will find our favorites and what recipes they work best in.

Overwhelmed by all the gluten free flour mixes on the market? Here's a list of our favorites, along with proven recipes for each so you can get back into the kitchen and enjoy fresh baked goods!

What is your favorite gluten free flour blend? Tell us in the comments!

A few notes about gluten free flour:

There is no one size fits all when it comes to gluten free flours. A lot of people I talk to are looking for one flour that does it all. While there are many great flour mixes (listed below!) that I love, I always have more than one on hand to use in different types of recipes. You’ll have the best results with your baking if you use a blend suited to the recipe you’re using. I’ve included below the recipes on this site that work particularly well with each flour blend.

Let’s talk about gluten.

Gluten is the binding agent in regular flour that holds your baked goods together. Gluten free flours do not, obviously, contain gluten so they are prone to being crumbly and dry if you don’t add some sort of binding agent.

Most gluten free products have either xanthan gum or guar gum to accomplish this. I’ve used both, and have found that while xanthan gum is a little (not a lot) more expensive than guar gum, it seems to do a better job while using less in your recipes. Adding a binder isn’t optional for most gluten free recipes.

Some people are sensitive to xanthan and/or guar gum and use different binding agents such as psyllium husk or ground flax. Other natural binders are eggs and bananas. If your finished product has a gummy texture, you have added too much of a binding agent to your recipe. I’ve noticed that in recipes that include a lot of eggs, I need less xanthan gum.

There is a sliding scale for the amount of xanthan you need: 1/4 tsp per cup of gf flour for cookies, 1/2 tsp  for cakes/muffins/quick breads, 1 tsp for yeast products (bread, pizza dough, etc.) This ties back to the idea that there is no ONE gluten free flour that will work well with all kinds of recipes.

I find gfJules has just the right amount of xanthan for bread products to make them turn out absolutely perfect.

If I’m making crepes, I prefer to use King Arthur’s Multipurpose so I can add the exact amount of xanthan I need to avoid a gummy texture.

And Cup4Cup makes the most delightfully fluffy biscuits.

While each of the flours work with our dietary needs, always read labels and choose flours that are safe for you to consume.

gf Jules is a high quality gluten free flour perfect for breads, sauces, gravies, and more!

gf Jules

This is a long-standing favorite of ours, as it is for many people. If you want the fluffiest, softest gluten free bread, this is the flour you’ll want to use! Here are a few things we love about GF Jules products:

1. Owner Jules Shepard has been at this for a long time. She knows her stuff, she eats gluten free herself, and she has an abundance of products, recipes, tutorials, and gluten free information on her site (if you haven’t checked it out yet, do so!). She’s a go-to resource for everything gluten free.
  2. GF Jules products are certified gluten free and are also free from nuts which is a biggie for a lot of people.
  3. The first time I tried her flour to make a simple white sauce, I was hooked. It is the perfect substitute for regular flour in sauces, gravies, breading, and anything else like that.

Works best for: Breads, Sauces, and Cookies

Buy HERE

Contains: corn.

Recipes that work well with this flour:

1. Crescent Rolls
  2. Hot Dog Buns
  3. Hamburger Buns
  4. Chocolate Chip Cookies
  5. Resurrection Rolls
  6. Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
  7. Soft Garlic Breadsticks
  8. Sandwich Bread
  9. Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancakes)
  10. Better-Than-Ding-Dongs Cake
  11. Gluten Free Brioche Rolls
  12. Gluten Free Julekakae (Norwegian Christmas Bread – reader requested recipe)
  13. Dinner Rolls
  14. Cinnamon Rolls

Better Batter Gluten Free Flour - a truly all-purpose flour blend! Click for more info and lots of tested gluten free recipe that work well with this blend #glutenfreeflour #glutenfreeflourmix #glutenfree

Better Batter

Better Batter gluten free flour is a simple all-purpose blend that works with just about every recipe we’ve tried.

1. Better Batter flour is dairy free  and corn free, making it the perfect option for those needing to avoid dairy and corn.
  2. We have tested this flour with cookies, quick breads, yeast breads (although you’ll see the best results for yeast breads with gfJules), biscuits, and sauces/gravies. We have yet to find a recipe that this flour doesn’t work with.
  3. This flour is affordable. Follow their Facebook page and watch for sales, every now and again they will have a big one and we always stock up! You can also look on their website for factory seconds, we’ve ordered several times this way and the product has been the same as any other time we’ve ordered, only less expensive. You can also order on Amazon if you need quicker deliver and have Amazon Prime.

Works best for: Breads, Muffins/Quick Breads, Sauces, Cookies, Biscuits

7. Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
  8. Soft Garlic Breadsticks
  9. Banana Bread with Browned Butter and Maple Pecan Glaze
  10. Coca Cola Cupcakes
  11. Orange Poppyseed Bread
  12. Sandwich Bread
  13. Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancakes)
  14. Better-Than-Ding-Dongs Cake
  15. Gluten Free Julekakae (Norwegian Christmas Bread – reader requested recipe)
  16. Gingerbread Waffles
  17. Skillet Cornbread
  18. Resurrection Rolls

Cup4Cup Gluten Free Flour makes THE BEST gluten free biscuits! Here's a list of the best recipes to make with Cup4Cup flour.

Cup4Cup

This is the holy grail of gluten free flour for biscuit recipes. If you want to make some FANTASTIC gluten free biscuits, grab a bag of Cup4Cup.

Works best for: Biscuits, Sauces,Cream Puffs, and Eclairs

Buy HERE

Contains: milk and corn.

A few recipes that work well with this flour:

1. Easy Gluten Free Biscuits
  2. Gluten Free Muffins 5 Ways
  3. Coca Cola Cupcakes
  4. Almond Poppyseed Muffins
  5. Brownie Cookies
  6. Gluten Free Blueberry Biscuits
  7. Gluten Free Cheesy Green Chili Biscuits
  8. Gluten Fee Soda Biscuits
  9. Gluten Free Biscuits and Gravy

Pamela's Artisan Blend is a great all-purpose gluten free flour. Here's a list of recipes that work great with this flour! #glutenfree

Pamela’s

Works best for: Quick breads and muffins, cookies. I haven’t tested a lot of recipes with this flour, but it seems to do well in most.

Buy HERE

Contains: no allergens.

Recipes that work well with this flour:

1. Healthy Banana Muffins
  2. Orange Poppyseed Bread
  3. Browned Butter Banana Bread with Maple Glaze
  4. Gluten Free Muffins 5 Ways
  5. Almond Poppyseed Muffins

King Arthur Gluten Free Flour is the PERFECT blend for gluten free crepes, and other gluten free recipes that need little or no xanthan gum. Click for gluten free recipes that work well with this flour! #glutenfreeflour #bestglutenfreeflour #glutenfreeflourmix #glutenfreerecipes #glutenfree #LifeAfterWheat

King Arthur Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour

This is the flour that works best in our crepe recipes because it doesn’t contain xanthan gum. Some recipes (such as crepes) don’t require much xanthan gum and which means that most gluten free flour mixes will contain too much xanthan and yield a gummy texture. Keep in mind that King Arthur makes a few different flour blends, so if you’re making the crepes below, be sure to purchase this one that doesn’t contain any xanthan gum. You’ll need to add xanthan gum to the recipe you’re making.

Works best for: Recipes that don’t require much xanthan gum, particularly crepes

Buy HERE

Contains: potato

Recipes that Work Well with King Arthur Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour:

1. Gluten Free Crepes
  2. Gluten Free Chocolate Crepes

You Might Also Like

40 Comments

Chrystal @ Gluten-Free Palate
    October 17, 2016 at 8:21 pm

I feel like there are so many great mixes to chose from. This is a great roundup of some of the ones available 🙂

suzanne
    September 12, 2017 at 10:27 am

what is the best gf flour for fried chicken, or chicken fried steak w cream gravy?

September 12, 2017 at 10:51 am

Great question Suzanne! I have had good results with GF Jules, which also is my favorite for gravies. -Celeste

Jan
      June 22, 2019 at 8:39 pm

I love the King Arthur GF all purpose flour for southern fried chicken! It doesn’t burn like Cup4Cup when frying chicken. I dip my raw chicken in egg/milk mixture, then coat with King Arthur GF flour, then into a skillet of med/hot olive oil. Yum!

June 24, 2019 at 12:37 pm

That is great to know, thank you Jan!

Dana
    September 29, 2017 at 5:19 am

When you made bread with the Thrive flour, do you add xantham gum?

October 3, 2017 at 6:44 am

Hi Dana, great question! Thrive flour has some xanthan already added, so I would not add any for quick breads but would add 1/2 tsp per cup of Thrive flour for yeast breads.

Belinda
    October 16, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Just found this super duper roundup. Added a few new ones.
    Thx for doing the foot work for us GFers?

October 17, 2018 at 9:01 pm

You’re welcome Belinda, I’m so glad you find it helpful. Thank you for stopping by! -Celeste

Nan
    December 11, 2018 at 5:53 am

Have you ever tested Steve’s authentic flours? His cake blend and bread blend are fantastic!

December 11, 2018 at 12:20 pm

No I haven’t, I’ll check it out 🙂 Thanks! -Celeste

Katie
    February 3, 2019 at 12:11 pm

Hi. Thanks for your informative article! What do you think of
    Bob’s Red Mill GF 1to 1 Baking flour? I made choc chip cookies with it and they came out really well. It does contain the xanthan gum.
    Thank you!

February 4, 2019 at 9:17 am

Hi Katie! Great question. BRM is a fairly good blend, but not my fav. I prefer the taste and texture of the other flours I listed, and appreciate that Better Batter is truly a universal flour that I can use for everything from cookies to breads.

Sheri Bellgardt
    June 30, 2019 at 6:09 pm

I am looking for a gluten-free Bisquick mix recipe. I have one that is made of rice flour, arrowroot flour, exanthem gum in tapioca flour. My family enjoys those impossible Bisquick recipes from years ago. Like Impossible taco pie, impossible pumpkin pie etc. Wondered if you knew of one that was less expensive to make and worked well? Thank you so much.

July 2, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Great question Sheri! Betty Crocker GF Bisquick works pretty well, but I haven’t tried making a mix. Maybe I should!

Luis M.
    July 19, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for a great review of GF flours! I’m going to make a tres leche cake and my sister-in-law has celiac disease. Which flour would you recommend for this cake which has meringue and is wet with the 3 types of milk poured over it?

July 20, 2019 at 11:03 pm

I haven’t tried making that yet, but using a King Arthur GF cake mix should work. If making from scratch, try Better Batter, Grandpa’s Kitchen, or King Arthur GF Flour. Let me know how it turns out! -Celeste

Sharon Fender
        January 8, 2020 at 4:49 pm

I made the biscuits using Krusteaz cup 4 cup on the gluten free biscuits . They were terrible, way too salty and hard as a rock. I’m so sorry about them.

January 13, 2020 at 10:06 am

Gluten free flours vary so much, and so do the results of a recipe based on which one you use. Cup4Cup and Better Batter both work very well with this recipe and will yield fluffy, tasty biscuits 🙂

Lynne Lillie
    July 24, 2019 at 10:48 am

I do wish I’d found this info when my son first decided to go gluten free, instead of just using the buckshot approach. Ultimately, I ended up using Jovial Gluten Free Pastry flour, and Jovial Gluten Free Bread flour. They offer two kinds of each, Ancient Grain and Whole Grain. It works really well for most things–I do use their recipe for bread in bread machine, and pancakes. In other recipes I just substitute cup for cup. It’s a great gf flour, but the real reason I chose, and have stuck with it, is that they are very careful about where they source their rice flours. Most rice flours are quite high in arsenic; Jovial’s flours are rigorously tested to insure minimal amounts of arsenic. I would love to try some of the brands you mentioned but I don’t see any information on testing for arsenic on any of their packages. If you have any information on this, I’d love to hear it. Thanks so much.

July 26, 2019 at 11:51 am

I am just starting to use Jovial flours, love how much more nutritious it is! I don’t know of any additional arsenic info for other brands of gf flour, sorry! -Celeste

Kit
    September 8, 2019 at 10:46 am

I love your bread and biscuit recipes, but I think you are missing out on some great flours. I love King Arthur and it is the only flour I use for thickening and coatings, but I got rid of all the rest of my gf flours when I discovered Blends by Orly. I get it on Amazon and it is worth it! She has developed blends specifically for each type of baking. My gf baking has never tasted so good and I’ve tried most of the flours you listed above. You really should check it out.

September 9, 2019 at 10:52 am

Thanks for the recommendation Kit, I haven’t tried that flour yet! -Celeste

Joyce laux
      November 23, 2019 at 10:11 am

Kit, when you use King Arthur flour for gravy do you add xanthan gum to it as well?

Kit
        May 8, 2020 at 8:14 pm

No, I use it as is measure for measure.

Jackie Bock
    November 7, 2019 at 3:02 pm

I wonder if you tested Namaste. It used to be my go to flour for everything. It even made perfect pancakes. Then from one bag to the next it started to fail me. Things either rose and flopped as soon as you took them out of the oven. Or came out with hockey puck texture. I’ve searched for information regarding an ingredient change but can find nothing on their website.

November 13, 2019 at 12:51 pm

Yes, I need to update my list. I do like it for rolls but need to do a little more experience, I haven’t noticed a difference between bags but I haven’t baked with it a ton either.

Alene
    November 13, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Where else can I buy Gluten free Mama’s Almond Flour Blend. Amazon doesn’t carry it anymore. Is there another source you trust? Thank you.

November 14, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Great question Alene, it has been hard to find lately and honestly, I’m not sure where you can get it.

Jacqui
    November 27, 2019 at 12:51 pm

I am pretty sure you can still gt it through Azure Standard. https://www.azurestandard.com/
    Hope this helps

Jo
    March 25, 2020 at 2:36 pm

I am blown away, I didn’t realize how many different “gf blends” there a. Our daughter is celiac and I love to bake. Tried a few different brands. Not sure if I want to make my own, that’s a whole new collection of flours/starches that I’m not ready for.
    Just need to keep playing with different blend. Thanks so much for the info!

March 26, 2020 at 9:45 pm

Yes, there are so many options! I hope you find the links to recipes helpful.

Valerie
    June 8, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Have you tried 1-2-3 Gluten Free Olivias Outstanding All Purpose Flour?

June 9, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Nope, never heard of that one!

Valerie
        June 10, 2020 at 10:05 am

Well i just ordered better batter and super excited to try that for my toddlers soy free, dairy free, egg free bread 🙂 thank you for this article

June 10, 2020 at 9:05 pm

So glad Valerie, hope your little one loves the bread!

Jane Wright
    July 7, 2020 at 1:23 pm

Pamela’s is my go to for all my gluten free recipes, but it seems it is not available anymore. Anyone have any idea why or when it may come back in the market?

Annette Powell
    August 8, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I’ve seen it on Amazon. You might try there.

Dr. john
    August 28, 2020 at 5:07 am

Just Curious. Why exclude the writers who recommend mixing your own ‘flours,’ rather than paying extra for someone else’s (often rather small) pre-packaged mixes, that many times are merely high-starch variants on some other more healthful versions? For example- I have had both Bette Hagman’s [ GF Gourmet series ] and especially Carol Fenster’s [1000 GF Recipes] book(s), and have found that some recipes work better with different combinations of ingredients- for example, Fenster’s Yorkshire Pudding (Popovers) using her ‘Carol’s Sorghum Blend’ was a total game changer for me, and the family. Taste is a big consideration, too! As for us- I’m GF intolerant, daughter is GF averse, wife and son could care less…. but I find the GF ‘mixes’ to be sort of like a “Model T”- great vehicle, comes only in one flavor (color) and that’s it! Then, taste. And finally, cost- which (gotta admit) it IS a factor, unless you’re Martha….

Now, I am not one to eschew things like xanthan gum or Expandex, ( the latter, which Fenster uses/recommends in most of her recipes) because the minimal amount of those ingredients, and how often I ‘allow’ myself to eat ‘carbs,’ is still FAR superior to the garbage in most processed foods, sugar/gluten ‘white bread’ junk. Also, I’m a working professional (College Prof.) and can’t spend all day in the kitchen baking- nor does my wife! I can get most of my ‘ingredients’ via the Big A (and sometimes even our local overstock store for things like Bob’s Red Mill!) And, as I am trying to cut down on ’empty’ carbs (working toward the “Hybrid”/”5-day” diet lifestyle- low GL/alternating with ‘Keto’ elements in a 3wk.-1wk. ratio each month) – I don’t WANT to have products made with a lot of high GI/GL ingredients- rice/corn/potato (the ‘white death stuff’) around the house. Luckily, I am not nut, dairy sensitive…so, making things with Coconut/Almond ‘flour is still a great option for us…now, if only they would RISE! lol (I don’t consider a hockey puck height to be bread, frankly)

Just thought I’d pose the question. Found your GF Zucchini bread recipe (we have baseball bat sized zukes this year!) and was ‘checking out’ the site. Thanks!

August 30, 2020 at 8:53 pm

Hi there! Not trying to exclude anyone, just sharing the flours I’ve tried and love. If these don’t work for you, no worries! Happy baking!