These gluten free Coca Cola cupcakes have a perfect moist, light texture and are easy to make-no mixer required!
This is a very easy and simple recipe that even the beginner baker can make, and it comes together quite quickly so it’s a great treat to take to parties or potlucks.
*gluten-free *oat-free *soy-free *corn-free *can be nut-free
- You can use any flavor/variety (be sure it’s gluten free) Coca-Cola, or another soda. I’ve used caffeine free, diet, and even Dr. Pepper. Cherry Coca-Cola is my long-standing favorite though!
- You can use a store bought buttermilk, or make your own by measuring 3/4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar into a liquid measuring cup, filling to the 1/4 cup mark, stirring, and letting it stand a few minutes until curdled.
- Because flour mixes vary so widely in texture and density, I suggest using my flour mix recipe or a lighter mix such as Gluten Free Mama’s almond blend, or Better Batter.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/3 C cocoa powder
- 12 oz can Coca Cola (I used Cherry)
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I used Better Batter)
- 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (if your flour mix contains xanthan, omit this)
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
Glaze Ingredients: (Don’t skip the glaze!)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Coca-Cola (again, I used Cherry)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 13×9″ cake pan or line 24 muffin cups.
- Combine the butter, cocoa powder, Coca-Cola, and buttermilk in a small saucepan and stir. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent cocoa from scorching.
- Meanwhile whisk together flour mix, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Once Coca-Cola mixture starts to boil, pour it into flour mixture.
- Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan(s). This recipe will make a 13×9″ pan or 2 dozen cupcakes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for cake pan. Toothpick inserted in center should come out clean. Be careful not to over-bake.
- Set pan on cooling rack for five minutes, then start the glaze.
- For glaze, combine butter, cocoa, and Coca-Cola in a saucepan. Stir to combine and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days if they last that long! In my opinion, these taste even better after sitting for a bit.