Gluten Free Orange Poppy Seed Quick Bread is a fun twist on an old favorite. A beautiful pound cake filled with tangy orange zest, sweet poppy seeds, and topped with a beautiful orange glaze.
January is the month of Citrus, and what better way to start the new year than with a loaf of Orange Poppy Seed Bread exploding with sweet and tangy citrus flavors?? I promise you’ll love this gluten free quick bread – and you won’t miss the gluten one bit.
We love making this Orange Poppyseed Bread with cara cara oranges, also known as blood oranges for their deep red color. Feel free to use any kind of orange you have you on hand, though and let us know which variety you baked with!
This baking venture began with a trip to Costco where I picked up a gigantic bag of cara cara oranges. What is a person to DO with 10 lbs of oranges?? They were deliciously juicy and HUGE, so I set off to develop a recipe.
I’m a sucker for all things poppy seed (helloooo Almond Poppyseed Bakery Muffins!) so I knew that had to be in the mix. A quick Google search brought up a Lemon Poppy seed Bread recipe from Cooking Classy so I made a few tweaks and voila.
FOR THE BREAD
- 1 2/3 cup gluten free flour (I used Grandpa's Kitchen - see notes)
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon lightly packed orange zest (any orange will do)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (can use dairy free sticks as sub)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1/3 cup sour cream (can use dairy free)
- 3 Tablespoons milk (any kind)
- 3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
FOR THE GLAZE
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Whisk together gluten free flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Measure sugar and orange zest together in bowl of stand mixer (or use a regular bowl if you have a hand mixer) and rub together with your fingers for a minute or so until the sugar becomes a yellow/orange color and is fragrant.
- Add butter to sugar/zest and mix using medium speed until mixture is pale yellow/orange and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add flour mixture, sour cream, milk, and freshly squeezed orange juice. Mix on medium-low just until creamy and any lumps are gone.
- Let the mixture sit while the oven preheats to 350.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment or grease well with butter, oil, or cooking spray.
- When the oven is preheated, spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool on a rack while you prepare the glaze.
- FOR POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE: whisk together powdered sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice to make desired consistency. Pipe or drizzle onto the loaf when it has completely cooled.
- Store leftover bread in an airtight container or bread bag in the fridge for 5-7 days. You can also freeze.
- I used Grandpa's Kitchen flour in this recipe. I would also recommend Bob's Red Mill 1:1.
- This recipe tastes great with any type of orange, blood orange is our fav 🙂 it definitely tastes best with fresh-squeezed orange juice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Deiss PRO Citrus Zester & Cheese Grater — Parmesan Cheese Lemon, Ginger, Garlic, Nutmeg, Chocolate, Vegetables, Fruits - Razor-Sharp Stainless Steel Blade, Wide, Dishwasher Safe
- KitchenAid KP26M1XNP 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer - Nickel Pearl
- Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
- Citrus Juicer,Lemon Squeezer,Citrus Orange Squeezer Manual Hand Juicer Lime Press Anti-Slip Lid Rotation Reamer with Strainer and Container by Kasmoire
- M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula Set - Non-Stick Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils for Cooking, Baking, and Mixing - Ergonomic, Bakeware Set of 4, Orange
- USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan, 1 Pound, Silver
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g