The addition of a sweet tahini swirl gives these Gluten Free Chocolate Tahini Brownies a subtle, yet deliciously exotic flavor.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure.
Chocolate Tahini Brownies have a perfect fudgy texture and deliciously exotic flavor combination.
I’m not sure when or where the chocolate tahini brownie revolution began. Like many food trends, this exotic flavor combination has taken a while to hit mainstream, but it is well worth the wait!
A few weeks ago I was flipping through a bon appetite magazine and spotted this chocolate tahini brownie recipe. Being the spontaneous person I am, I set out that afternoon to give them a whirl. Of course, I made a few changes over the next couple of weeks – I won’t mention how many of these brownies we’ve eaten 🙂
Chances are, if you have tahini on hand then you’ll have everything you need to make these Chocolate Tahini Brownies. This is one of those recipes that is delightfully simple.
You might be wondering, What is tahini?
Tahini is made by grinding sesame seeds into a thin spread similar to peanut butter or almond butter. It has a unique flavor that pairs perfectly with chocolate.
We just started experimenting with tahini in the last year or so, mostly as an addition to homemade hummus. It is a tasty addition to dressings, too…but I have to admit that my favorite way to enjoy tahini is swirled into these perfectly fudgy brownies!
You can find tahini in most grocery/health food stores on the peanut butter aisle, or purchase it online.
A few things that make this Chocolate Tahini Brownie recipe unique:
- Swapping coconut sugar for brown sugar makes these brownies a little healthier and adds a caramel-like flavor. Feel free to use brown sugar instead of the coconut sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
- This is a recipe for flourless brownies. There is no flour or starch of any kind in this recipe, which allows the brownies to take on that deliciously fudgy texture we all love.
- Using Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or another alternative also makes these brownies dairy free. Yay!
Flourless brownies are a great recipe for those new to gluten free baking because you don’t have to worry about finding a suitable gluten free flour and probably have all the ingredients on hand.
FOR THE BROWNIES
- 6 oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate (we used Enjoy Life Foods which is dairy free)
- 3 T virgin coconut oil
- 1 T tahini
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 T vanilla
FOR TAHINI SWIRL
- 3 T tahini
- 1 T honey or agave
- Prepare an 8" square baking pan by lining with parchment paper. (if you don't have parchment, you can spray it with cooking spray, but parchment works best)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small saucepan, stir chocolate, coconut oil, and 1 T tahini over low heat just until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and coconut sugar. Mix on medium-high 4-5 minutes until light and smooth. Mixture should be about double in size.
- Mix in salt and vanilla.
- Mix in chocolate mixture, scraping sides with a spatula as needed, until smooth and combined.
- Add cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
FOR TAHINI SWIRL:
- Whisk together 3 T tahini and honey or agave in a small bowl. Drop by dollops onto the batter and use a toothpick or wooden skewer to swirl.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out with fudgy crumbs. Be careful to not over-bake.
- Cool completely before cutting and store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap. You can also freeze.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 158mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 3g