Gluten Free Blender Crepes with Cheesecake Filling

Quick and easy gluten free crepes are a cinch to make! Whip a few simple ingredients in your blender, pour into a skillet, cook, flip, and repeat. They're fold-able, roll-able, and perfect with any filling!

Quick and easy gluten free crepes are a cinch to make! Whip a few simple ingredients in your blender, pour into a skillet, cook, flip, and repeat. They’re fold-able, roll-able, filled with a tangy cheesecake filling and topped with fresh berries.

Growing up, we always had a big breakfast as a family on Saturday morning. I suppose that’s where I got my love of all things breakfast πŸ™‚ We changed it up every week: German pancakes, waffles, pancakesscrambled eggs, and (of course) crepes.

I’m a HUGE fan of gluten free crepes because they are sooooo versatile! They’re one of the only breakfast foods that you can legitimately eat for lunch or dinner, too because you can serve them with a sweet or savory filling. (pssst! Have you tried this ridiculously easy Chocolate Crepes recipe yet??)

As a kid we even ate the leftovers as a snack by spreading melted butter on top and sprinkling with cinnamon sugar before rolling them. <—–If you haven’t tried that last one, give it a whirl with these gluten free crepes – your kids will love you forever (and you’ll be hooked).

One of the best things about this recipe, besides the fact that it’s gluten free of course, is that it is so easy to make. It’s so easy in fact, that you don’t even need a bowl, a mixer, or even a spoon. Say What?! Just grab your blender, a few simple ingredients out of your pantry and fridge, and you’re set.

You can serve these gluten free crepes any way you like. Our kids always opt for the cream cheese filling with fresh berries on top, and I’ve included that recipe as well.

Don’t be afraid to experiment though! My brother is still famous among the young members of our family for serving crepes with Nutella and bananas (are you a Nutella addict? You’ll need to try these Nutella Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats!).

How to Make Really Good Gluten Free Crepes:

1. I’ve been making crepes for decades. Literally. And the trick to a good crepe is to use part milk, part water for the liquid. I know, I know, it sounds weird and maybe even a little bit gross. But trust me on this one! You’ll get the perfect texture by following this rule.
  2. Get a crepe pan. This was a game changer for me, it really makes the crepe experience so much more enjoyable! I got mine for less than $20 and don’t have to grease it at all, plus it’s super easy to spread the batter. Here’s a link to the one I use.
  3. Watch the cooking time and temperature. Chances are, you’ll be tempted to flip the crepes before they’re ready. This is what causes the crepes to tear…so if the crepe isn’t holding together then WAIT! Even if the crepes are a little over-done, they’ll soften as they sit.
  4. Don’t go to far while they’re cooking. I am usually breaking up fights, entering kindle passwords, listening to timed readings, and checking times tables while I’m cooking dinner, so I promise they won’t be ruined if you have to step away every now and again. But try to watch them fairly closely πŸ™‚
  5. Last tip: as you’re removing them from the pan, put a piece of parchment or wax paper between the crepes so they don’t sweat or stick together.

Looking for more breakfast inspiration??

We’re loving these Paleo Carrot Cake Muffins from Gluten Free Palate!

Gluten Free Crepes

Gluten Free Crepes

Yield: 8-10 crepes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

CREPES

CHEESECAKE FILLING

Instructions

1. Blend eggs, milk, water, melted butter, and salt on lowest speed in a blender just until smooth (5-10 seconds)
  2. Add flour, (please see notes!), xanthan gum, and sugar and blend on lowest speed until smooth, about 15 seconds.
  3. Heat a crepe pan or large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
  4. When skillet is preheated pour just enough crepe batter to thinly coat the pan and gently swirl until the crepe is thin and covering bottom of the pan.
  5. Cook until crepe is set. It is OK if the bottom begins to brown and the edges get a bit crispy, they will soften after you remove them from the heat. Flip and cook the other side. If the crepe tears as you are flipping it, it isn't ready to flip yet! Cook a bit longer and try again.
  6. The second side will probably only need to cook 20-30 seconds since the crepe is mostly done when you flip it.
  7. When done, remove the crepe to a serving plate and repeat this process with remaining batter. Put a piece of parchment or wax paper between the crepes as you remove them from the pan, so they won't stick together.
  8. Serve with your favorite topping/filling: Nutella and sliced banana, butter and cinnamon sugar, cream cheese filling with fresh berries, a savory filling, or even just a sprinkling of powdered sugar.
  9. CHEESECAKE FILLING:Β With a mixer on high speed, mix cream cheese with 1/4-1/3 cup granulated sugar until creamy and smooth, 2-3 minutes. Mix in vanilla, lemon juice and sour cream. This filling is not very sweet because it's meant to be complimented with fresh berries. It tastes like a tart no-bake cheesecake filling.

Notes

1. Choose your flour wisely. We have tested this recipe with a variety of gluten free flours and have found that a blend with no added xanthan gum works best. This is because the eggs act as a binding agent so you don't need as much xanthan gum as most flour mixes contain. Our favorites are listed below:

WHEN MEASURING FLOUR: always use the following method:

• Stir the flour.
  • Scoop the flour into your measuring cup using a spoon.
  • Level off with the flat side of a knife.

Recommended Products

As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.

You Might Also Like

26 Comments

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    April 18, 2016 at 7:49 am

Crepes are so fun and so elegant!

April 18, 2016 at 2:36 pm

I completely agree Rebecca!

Raia
    April 18, 2016 at 8:02 am

Crepes + cream cheese + strawberries. Yes please! These look delicious!

April 18, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Definitely a winning combination, Raia!

Chrystal @ Gluten-Free Palate
    April 18, 2016 at 8:33 am

I love how simple this recipe is. Thank you!

Best,
    Chrystal

April 18, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Oh so do I Chrystal πŸ˜‰ Thanks for stopping by!

Brianna H (@FlippinDelish)
    April 18, 2016 at 9:09 am

This recipe is GENIUS! I love crepes, but they have always seemed more complex. Making them in the blender sounds so easy. I think we’ll have to have these for dinner this week with a savory filling!

April 18, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Let me know what you use for savory filling Brianna, do you have a recipe you use already?

Emily @ Recipes to Nourish
    April 18, 2016 at 9:39 am

I love crepes! These look so delicious! Yum!

April 18, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Me too Emily, thanks!

Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog
    April 18, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I can’t believe how thin your crepes are! And that filling sounds so super delicious!

April 18, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Thanks Sharon! Years of practice πŸ˜‰

Pam
    June 5, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Tried this recipe, let me start by saying the filling was SO GOOD! However, the crepe batter was way too thick, I had to add about 1/3 cup more water so my batter would spread and even then had to use a spoon to spread it in the frying pan. I used Domata Recipe Ready Gluten Free Flour which I used regularly with good results. Thanks for sharing this recipe, just wanted to share my results with using it.

June 5, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for trying it and taking the time to come back and comment Pam! I’m not familiar with that flour, I appreciate you letting us know how it turned out. Gluten free flours vary so much in the way they work with different recipes! The key to crepes is a thin batter, maybe try using Mama’s next time or try cutting the flour down if you use the same blend. Happy baking! ?Celeste

Carly
    June 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm

Has anyone tried a coconut or almond milk instead? Crepes are my favorite and I’ve had a hard time finding a dairy/gluten free recipe!

June 8, 2016 at 9:53 am

I haven’t tried that yet Carly, but it’s on my list! I might get a chance over the next few days, if you try it before me come back and let me know how it worked out!

Lisa
    July 6, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Any suggestions for going GF, DF, and Egg free? I LOVE crepes, but the egg allergy really gets in the way!

July 7, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Hi Lisa, that’s a tough one! I haven’t tried either of those substitutions so I couldn’t tell you how it would turn out. If I try it, I’ll let you know, and if you give it a go, will you come back and tell us? Thanks! -Celeste

Sara Watson
    November 19, 2017 at 7:09 pm

If I am going to use a 1 to 1 type all purpose gf flour, do I leave out the xanthum gum?

November 20, 2017 at 7:07 am

Yes you can omit the xanthan gum. Hope you enjoy the crepes, Sara!

Senaris
    April 21, 2018 at 5:48 pm

This recipe worked really well for me both sweet and savory, thank you so much! First time making crepes and now I’m hooked on them! I’ve made these a few more times since the first time and I omit the sugar for savory crepes. I like to make breakfast pockets with them for savory (ham, cheese, egg with the sides folded in but the egg yolk still exposed. Then pop in the oven to crisp it up a bit and cook the egg) Again, thank you! These turned out so much better than I had expected! ^_^

April 28, 2018 at 4:42 pm

So happy to hear this, thank you for the comment!

Shelly
    June 30, 2018 at 9:45 am

These were absolutely delicious. I used Tofutti Better than Sour Cream to cut out some of the milk product since we have some lactose sensitive friends over. Mashed some fresh strawberries for the topping…and yum! The crepes were delicious! Thank you for this recipe!

July 1, 2018 at 9:53 pm

So glad you enjoyed them Shelly! Thanks for letting us know that the Tofutti worked well. -Celeste

RuthMae Johnson
    September 27, 2018 at 5:44 pm

What do you suggest for a nut free flour blend? Thanks!

September 27, 2018 at 9:53 pm

Grandpa’s Kitchen, Bob’s Red Mill 1:1, or Pamela’s should all work.