This gluten free pancake recipes makes the BEST and FLUFFIEST gluten free pancakes! We make it easy for you with step-by-step instructions and photos. ENJOY!
If you eat gluten free, you really must have a good recipe for gluten free pancakes in your arsenal. Pancakes are a favorite Saturday breakfast in our house, and we often serve them for dinner, too!
We have spent the past several years developing this recipe for perfectly fluffy gluten free pancakes. We are excited to share this updated recipe with step-by-step instructions and pictures along with frequently asked questions to help you make the fluffiest gluten free pancakes!
How to make gluten free pancakes:
Stir together vinegar and milk in a 4 cup measuring cup or a small bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes until the milk starts to curdle; the mixture will be similar to buttermilk, but thinner. When the dry and wet ingredients are combined, this vinegar mixture will react with the baking powder to create a fluffy texture.
After you’ve let the milk start to curdle, add eggs, sugar, vanilla, and whisk. Set this aside while you mix the dry ingredients.
How to measure gluten free flour:
- Stir the flour.
- Scoop flour into a measuring cup, being careful not to pack it down.
- Level off with flat side of a knife or spoon.
- Pour into bowl.
After measuring the flour, add baking powder and salt, then whisk. Use a gluten free baking powder – we like to use an aluminum free variety like this one. If you’re using a gluten free flour that doesn’t have any xanthan gum, you’ll want to add xanthan gum now as well.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and quickly whisk together. There might be a few lumps, and the batter will be fairly thick as you can see in the picture.
If the batter seems too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk. If the batter seems two thin, add a tablespoon or two of gluten free flour. The batter will thicken slightly as it sits.
Preheat a griddle (or nonstick pan) to 325 F. Once it’s preheated, you can add the batter right onto the griddle using a measuring cup. Use a 1/4 cup size for small, toddle-sized pancakes, 1/3 cup for kid-size, and 1/2 cup for a larger pancake. This gluten free pancake recipe makes about 10 medium-sized pancakes.
Gluten free pancakes are SO easy to make, and you can serve them any way you like. Top with the traditional dollop of butter and some maple syrup, make our favorite homemade Buttermilk Syrup, or get all fancy and serve a pancake bar with a variety of toppings! Here are some ideas:
Gluten Free Pancake Bar Ideas:
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are great!)
- Nut or seed butters
- Sprinkles – because everything is better with sprinkles!
- Chopped dark chocolate
- Toasted coconut
- This homemade Chocolate sauce from Gluten Free Palate
- A variety of syrups
MAKING THIS RECIPE??? We love to hear about it!
>>>Snap a photo, and tag @LifeAfterWheat on social media
>>>Comment on the post to let us know how you liked it!
>>>We would love for you to leave a 5 *star* rating below if you loved this recipe. Leaving a rating helps others find this recipe – thanks for sharing the gluten free love!
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 T gluten free vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 T neutral oil (we use avocado)
- 1/2 T gluten free vanilla
- 2 T sugar
- 1 1/3 cups high quality gluten free flour (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if flour mix contains xanthan)
- 1 T gluten free baking powder
- In a small cup or 4 cup measuring cup, stir together vinegar and milk. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, xanthan gum (if needed), and baking powder.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk just until combined. Mixture might be a little lumpy, and should be fairly thick. Do not over-mix.
- Preheat griddle to 325.
- Scoop pancakes onto griddle and cook until the top is bubbly and bubbles start to pop. The bottom should be a golden brown.
- Flip pancakes and cook for another 30-60 seconds, until the other side is a golden brown and the pancake is set.
- Serve pancakes with your favorite toppings. We love to enjoy these gluten free pancakes with homemade buttermilk syrup.
Gluten free flours vary from brand to brand. Our favorite gluten free flour blends for this recipe are Gluten Free Mama's Almond Flour Blend (we link to this below) and Grandpa's Kitchen. Bob's Red Mill 1:1 works OK, but isn't our top choice. You can use Better Batter as well, but we find the texture to be best with Gluten Free Mama's.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 pancake
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 162 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 180mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g