Gluten Free Pancakes

Gluten Free Pancakes - the BEST and FLUFFIEST gluten free pancake recipe!

This gluten free pancake recipes makes the BEST and FLUFFIEST gluten free pancakes! We make it easy for you with step-by-step instructions and photos. ENJOY!

This recipe was updated  3.3.2020. I spent the past year tweaking and re-inventing my pancake recipe and I think you’ll LOVE the changes! These pancakes are beautifully fluffy and turn out perfectly every time. Better than IHOP 🙂

If you eat gluten free, you really must have a good recipe for gluten free pancakes in your arsenal. Pancakes are a favorite Saturday breakfast in our house, and we often serve them for dinner, too!

We have spent the past several years developing this recipe for perfectly fluffy gluten free pancakes. We are excited to share this updated recipe with step-by-step instructions and pictures along with frequently asked questions to help you make the fluffiest gluten free pancakes!

gluten free pancakes with blueberries on top and fork slicing into the stack of pancakes.

How to make gluten free pancakes:

I’m a believer in simple, one-bowl recipes, and these pancakes are great that way! Just stir all the wet ingredients together, toss in the dry, whisk, and cook.

There’s just one thing you need to know: The gluten free flour you use and how you measure it is important! I have tested this recipe with Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 and it works splendidly. Bob’s is an inexpensive flour, which is a definite bonus! I have also tried this recipe with my regular go-to, Better Batter, and it didn’t work so well so I highly recommend Bob’s 1:1.

The pancake batter should be thin enough to pour out of a measuring cup, slightly thicker than the consistency of buttermilk. If it seems too thick, add a splash of milk. Too thin, add a tablespoon of flour.

It is important to measure gluten free flour using the stir, scoop and level method. This ensures that you don’t use too much flour and thus end up with gritty and/or dense food, which nobody wants!

How to measure gluten free flour:

1. Stir the flour.
  2. Scoop flour into a measuring cup, being careful not to pack it down.
  3. Level off with flat side of a knife or spoon.
  4. Pour into bowl.

Preheat a griddle (or nonstick pan) to 325 F. Once it’s preheated, you can add the batter right onto the griddle using a measuring cup. Use a 1/4 cup size for small, toddle-sized pancakes, 1/3 cup for kid-size, and 1/2 cup for a larger pancake. This gluten free pancake recipe makes about 12 medium-sized pancakes.

How to make the fluffiest gluten free pancakes - step by step instructions

Gluten free pancakes are SO easy to make, and you can serve them any way you like. Top with the traditional dollop of butter and some maple syrup, make our favorite homemade Buttermilk Syrup, or get all fancy and serve a pancake bar with a variety of toppings! Here are some ideas:

Gluten Free Pancake Bar Ideas:

• Whipped cream
  • Fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are great!)
  • Nut or seed butters
  • Sprinkles – because everything is better with sprinkles!
  • Chopped dark chocolate
  • Toasted coconut
  • This homemade Chocolate sauce from Gluten Free Palate
  • A variety of syrups

MAKING THIS RECIPE??? We love to hear about it!

>>>Snap a photo, and tag @LifeAfterWheat on social media

>>>Comment on the post to let us know how you liked it!

>>>We would love for you to leave a 5 *star* rating below if you loved this recipe. Leaving a rating helps others find this recipe – thanks for sharing the gluten free love!

Yield: 12 pancakes

Gluten Free Pancakes

Gluten Free Pancakes - the BEST and FLUFFIEST gluten free pancake recipe!

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes

Ingredients

Instructions

1. In a medium-large bowl, whisk eggs until smooth.
  2. Add milk, buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla and whisk.
  3. Add flour (remember to stir, scoop, and level as mentioned in the blog post), baking powder, and baking soda. and stir or whisk just until combined. Batter will be a little thick.
  4. Add melted butter and whisk just until combined.
  5. Overmixing pancake batter can cause flat/tough pancakes, so only stir as much as you need to!
  6. Preheat griddle between 300/325.
  7. Pour batter onto griddle and cook until the tops are bubbly and bubbles start to pop. The bottoms should be a light golden brown.
  8. Flip pancakes and cook for another 30 seconds or so, until the other side is a light golden brown and the pancake is set.
  9. Serve pancakes with your favorite toppings. We love to enjoy these gluten free pancakes with homemade buttermilk syrup.

Notes

Gluten free flours vary from brand to brand. This recipe was tested with Bob's Red Mill 1:1 which you can find in most grocery stores or online. While I love Better Batter flour, it did not work well in this recipe.

Recommended Products

As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Nutrition Information:

Yield:

Serving Size:

1 pancake

Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

Soda Biscuits | ThereIsLifeAfterWheat
    May 16, 2015 at 11:11 am

[…] Diner Pancakes […]

The Best of the Best from the Gluten Free Expo | Life After Wheat
    December 14, 2015 at 7:47 am

[…] Me and Gluten Free Mama-love her! Here are some great recipes using her flour: Gingerbread Waffles, Chocolate Chip Cookies,  Fluffy Soda Biscuits, and Diner Pancakes […]

Pauline
    February 15, 2016 at 1:52 am

Pancakes look sooo yummy defiantly on the breakfast list .

LifeAfterWheat
      February 15, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Yes! Hope you love them as much as we do Pauline 🙂

Strength and Sunshine
    February 16, 2016 at 7:13 am

I would be lost with out my pancakes every weekend! My favorite Saturday and Sunday morning ritual…pancakes!!

Chrystal @ Gluten-Free Palate
    February 16, 2016 at 9:25 am

I seriously want these right now! I’ve had a rough morning and could use some comfort pancakes.

Best,
    Chrystal

LifeAfterWheat
      February 16, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Pancakes are a great comfort food. I hope your day got better Chrystal!

Amanda | My Gluten-Free Miami
    February 16, 2016 at 8:21 pm

So simple, yet they are the perfect comfort food!

Brianna H (@FlippinDelish)
    February 16, 2016 at 9:08 pm

These look just like diner pancakes. Well done, Celeste! I wish I had a fork and a pitcher of syrup right now.

LifeAfterWheat
      February 16, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Brianna, we eat wayyyy to much of them 😉

Adriane
    May 19, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Mmmmmmm. Those look delicious! My mouth is watering. I’m going to whip up a batch of those and my buttermilk syrup tonight! My kids are going to LOVE. ME.

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      May 19, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Hope your family loved them! Thanks for stopping by ?

Adriane
        May 19, 2016 at 10:24 pm

Holy cow, they were so delicious. The kids did not stop until they were gone. Thanks so much!

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
          May 22, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Yea! I love hearing things like that, thanks so much for taking the time to come back and comment 🙂

Kasha
    July 13, 2016 at 2:13 pm

These are fantastic! Thank you, they hit the spot for this twenty week pregnant lady! 😉

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      July 20, 2016 at 9:09 pm

So glad to hear that Kasha!

Jeannette
    July 25, 2017 at 11:02 am

These are very good! I’ve never been to a diner that sells gluten free pancakes,so thank you!
    *I’m going to look up more of your recipes, now that I found this this morning!
    ps) I used cup4cup flour.

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      July 25, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Yay! So happy that you enjoyed them. Thanks for letting us know what flour you used 🙂 -Celeste

Kelsey
    January 17, 2018 at 9:09 am

Besides the fact that I just commented on a recipe for beef stroganoff from last night… thinking it was THIS recipe (the blogger will be so confused!!)… this recipe isn’t bad at all! I used bob’s redmill cup4cup and almond milk instead of 1% and my batter was pretty thick, I had to manually spread the batter to make them thin enough. But they taste great!

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      January 17, 2018 at 11:20 am

Too funny Kelsey, that might explain some of the comments I get 🙂 Glad to hear it works with almond milk too, I haven’t tried that yet. You might be at a lower altitude than us, maybe cut the milk by a few tablespoons next time. Thanks for the comment!

Brianna
    February 19, 2018 at 9:17 pm

These were literally the best gluten free pancakes I’ve ever made and I’ve tried many! The buttermilk makes them!!! Ty so much!!

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      February 19, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Thank you Brianna, I’m so happy to hear that you enjoy them! -Celeste

Bobbie
    April 29, 2018 at 8:03 pm

Just made these today for my celiac husband. I used Cup 4 Cup Flour. Thicker batter than I thought it would be and came out a bit oddly shaped, but taste wise hubby loved them! Said they were fluffy and not dense like others we have tried. Thanks so much for the recipe.

Brenda
    December 30, 2018 at 8:19 am

I don’t understand… I tried to make these and they were wayyyyy tooo thick and clumpy. I had to thin it out with at least 2 cups of milk and they were still too thick to cook in the middle. Even after spreading them out with a spoon.. 🙁 I ‘ve been celiac for 10 years and have tried lots of recipes, so it seems that the recipe is off.

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      December 30, 2018 at 7:28 pm

So sorry Brenda! I’ll take a look at the recipe and see if it needs some adjusting. Keep in mind that I’m at high altitude, and that might make a difference. The flour blend you use can also play a factor. I’m sorry they didn’t turn out. -Celeste

Melody
    March 2, 2019 at 1:15 pm

I don’t have reugular milk as I’m lactose so I used almond milk instead and followed the recipe but it was way too watery and had to double the flour. How can I adjust?

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      March 6, 2019 at 8:27 pm

Hi Melody, almond milk is thinner than regular milk, which is what made it watery. I haven’t personally tried using a milk substitute in this recipe, so I can’t say for sure. I think your best bet would be homemade cashew milk (let me know if you need a recipe, it’s super easy!) or reducing the almond milk.

Noelle
    March 6, 2019 at 4:41 am

Sprinkles does make everything better! Can’t wait to try and to load them up with your topping ideas 🙂

Erin Dee
    March 17, 2019 at 9:25 pm

These pancakes are a delicious start to the day! The whole family will enjoy these!

Julie Reagan
    March 26, 2020 at 10:16 am

Looking forward to making these in the next few minutes for my husbands birthday… he’s missed them! I’ve just found your site (and I’ve been disappointed my many other sites) and am eager to try everything! I too have had a difficult time with liquids with everything I’ve made so far. (First batch always wrong but I know we are going on the right direction) Do you know how we make the adjustments for altitude. Also- I love the notes section but it may be helpful for all of us to be reminded that you are at a higher altitude and jt will require adjusting!!

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
      March 26, 2020 at 9:44 pm

I don’t know what altitude you’re at, I’m a little over 4,000 and you can adjust for higher altitude if needed. I think you and your husband will love the pancakes and I can’t wait to hear about it!

Julie
        March 28, 2020 at 6:52 pm

First- the Buttermilk syrup was a game changer. I didn’t mention the B word until all had declared they couldn’t get enough! We live in the Midwest and have no elevation (I looked it up out of curiosity 466ft) and so I’m guessing this is my problem. I have to say I’ve been making my mother in laws pancakes and rolls for over 30 years – so I’m confident in how those work out. The batter required at least 2 cups more of milk , I stopped measuring at 1.5 cups, and it took forever to cook through. I eventually figured out near the end if I flattened the pancake after having flipped it and letting it cook a couple of minutes, releasing the air seemed to help the cooking time. Hubby was thrilled! And I had plenty to toss in the freezer, (added gift). I’m not giving up on your baked goods though- the flavor is there!! Not all GF can claim that. Any suggestions?

thereislifeafterwheat@gmail.com
          March 28, 2020 at 9:50 pm

So glad you enjoyed the syrup, it’s one of our favs! What flour did you use for the pancakes?