A classic family treat turned into a sinfully indulgent dessert that still takes less than 15 minutes to make. This recipe is so simple and delicious it will quickly become a favorite!
Two things set this recipe aside from all other Rice Krispie treats. #1 is, of course, the creamy layer of chocolate hazelnut spread. The 2nd is an additional cup of marshmallows you stir in at the very end so they don’t completely melt. This leaves you with little pockets of gooey marshmallows. See? You can’t possibly go wrong here.
No one at our house is dairy free, but I have quite a few friends and loyal readers who are, so I decided to come up with a fun recipe that everyone will be able to enjoy. A few simple swaps and BAM! gluten and dairy free without sacrificing any taste.
Now let’s talk about the filling. The obvious option here is Nutella-we all love it, right? (I’m guessing that’s why you’re here). Another great option is Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut spread. It has a more pronounced hazelnut flavor without all the sugar, and (drumroll please!) it’s DAIRY FREE. It’s also gluten free, kosher, GMO-free, and vegan.
So grab some marshmallows and a jar of whatever Chocolate Spread makes you happy, and go make some Rice Krispie Treats!
Rice Krispie Treats
*gluten-free *soy-free *egg-free *dairy-free option *oat-free
- To make this recipe dairy free, use spectrum shortening (or your favorite butter substitute) and Justin’s Hazelnut spread because Nutella contains milk. We aren’t dairy free but I LOVE the taste of Justin’s so we often use that over Nutella anyway.
- Use a 9×9″ pan for a thicker bar. If you would rather make these a little thinner, use a 9×13 and only use about 75% of the pan.
- 1/3 cup butter, Spectrum Shortening, or other butter alternative
- 1 package (10 oz) mini marshmallows, plus 1 cup
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 1/2 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal (our favorite is Back to Nature)
- 1 jar Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter or about 2/3 jar Nutella
- Lightly grease a 9×9″ pan and set aside.
- Melt shortening or butter, 10 oz package mini marshmallows, and vanilla in large pan over medium-low heat. Remove from heat as soon as marshmallows are melted, then continue to stir to finish melting.
- Stir in cereal until evenly distributed.
- Stir in 1 cup extra marshmallows until they begin to melt.
- Pat 1/2 of the cereal mixture into prepared pan.
- Spread Justin’s or Nutella over cereal mixture.
- Pat down remaining cereal mixture and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I will receive compensation. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too!