These gluten free chocolate muffins are wonderfully soft and fluffy and topped with a buttery crumble.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream (use full fat)
- 1/4 cup neutral oil, such as avocado or canola
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING
- 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Line 12 muffin cups (link to my favs below)
- Whisk egg in medium bowl.
- Add yogurt, sour cream, oil, sugar, and vanilla and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add in flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir just until combined.
- Preheat oven to 375° and let batter sit while oven is preheating. This eliminates any gritty texture.
- Divide batter between muffin cups. The muffin cups will appear very full, but that's ok. They will puff up but the batter is thick enough they won't run over the edge and overflow.
- Sprinkle generously with crumb topping.
- Bake about 13-15 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center muffin comes out clean. Watch carefully and remove as soon as they are done so they don't dry out.
I used Bob's Red Mill 1:1 flour in this recipe. Grandpa's Kitchen and Better Batter would also work well.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g