Southern comfort food at its finest! This quick and easy Gluten Free Cornbread is soft and tender with a beautiful, crispy, golden brown edge.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! This one has the record on recipe development time, it’s been a work in progress for almost an entire year and has been tweaked dozens of times! I guess you could say I’m a cornbread snob. Especially when it comes to gluten free cornbread.
I love a good cornbread that is soft, tender, has that beautiful crispy brown edge, bonus points if it is drenched in honey.
This cornbread has just the perfect hint of sweetness and the flour to cornmeal ration yields the perfect texture. And this gluten free cornbread also has a secret ingredient that takes it to a whole new level!
Years ago we ate at a Mexican restaurant in Salt Lake City, UT that had some great cornbread. I was surprised when I bit into it and discovered kernels of corn hidden inside-it was delicious! Adding corn to this gluten free cornbread recipe sends it over the top, it is just SO good!
Did I mention how EASY this recipe is? it is so simple to whip up a batch of this cornbread to go with any meal.
Now if you’re going to enjoy a good Southern cornbread, you will definitely want to invest in a cast iron skillet. They’re inexpensive and you’ll find I use them in a lot of my recipes (as should you!). Using a cast iron skillet gives the cornbread those irresistible crispy edges.
Please note that since cast iron is porous, you’ll want to dedicate your cast iron skillet to gluten free foods only.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 T sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup high quality gluten free flour (see notes)
- 3/4 cup gluten free cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Turn oven on to 400 degrees F. Put butter in a cast iron skillet and allow to sit in the oven while it is preheating, until the butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sugar, egg, and milk in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and corn and stir with a spoon just until batter is smooth.
- Add melted butter from skillet and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into the preheated skillet and bake for 18-20 minutes, until edges are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Gluten free flour blends that work well in this recipe:
- Better Batter (this is my fav)
- Bob's Red Mill 1:1
- Pamela's Artisan blend
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 5g