Muffins are perfect for breakfasts, lunch boxes, travelling, and everything in between! This simple gluten free muffin recipe is easy to make and so easy to customize with whatever add-ins your family loves. Recipe includes variations for Chocolate Chip, Mixed Berry, Cranberry Pecan, Fresh Strawberry, and Rhubarb Streusel.
Our family LOVES muffins. We eat them all the time for…well…breakfast. We’ve also made a habit out of baking a batch or two to take on vacations, adding one or two to lunch boxes, or serving as an after school snack.
One thing I love about this recipe is you can get so creative with it. Below you’ll find 5 of our favorite add-ins, but feel free to play around with it and find some fun new flavors! You can also try substituting flavored yogurt instead of plain for a different taste.
I like to think this is a fool-proof recipe. I’ve made it with several different commercial flour mixes and also with my own, which happens to be my personal fav for muffins and quick breads.
Any way you choose to make them, they are light, fluffy, moist and not grainy at all. I have found the best way to store these muffins after they’ve cooled is to put them in a container, with the lid on top but not sealed, for the first day. If you still have some after that, you can go ahead and close the lid tightly.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as our family does! Please come back and comment to let us know which flavors you’ve tried. Happy gluten free baking!
This recipe is free from: gluten, soy, oats, and nuts
Please see notes at the bottom of the recipe before you begin 🙂
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular or Greek)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I use full fat)
- 1/3 cup milk (any kind will work)
- 1/4 cup neutral tasting oil (I use avocado oil or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar OR coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups high quality gluten free flour blend (stir, spoon, and level off when measuring)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Add-In listed in the notes
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 12 muffin cups with liners
- Whisk egg in medium bowl.
- Add yogurt, sour cream, milk, oil, sugars, and vanilla and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add in flour mix, xanthan gum if needed, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and stir with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated. Your batter should be soft and scoop-able, not pour-able.
- Stir in chosen add-ins.
- Divide batter between muffin cups. The muffin cups will appear full, but that's ok. They will puff up but the batter is thick enough they won't run over the edge and overflow.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center muffin comes out clean. Watch carefully and remove as soon as they are done so they don't dry out.
- Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely before storing any leftovers (if you have any!)
Use any flour mix you like. I have had success with the following:
- Grandpa's Kitchen
- Bob's Red Mill 1:1
- my Gluten Free Flour recipe.
I also winged it the last time and threw in 1/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup sorghum flour, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup white rice, 1/2 cup potato starch, and 1 T whole teff for a little extra protein. This blend tastes great with the cranberry pecan variation!
You can use all yogurt or all sour cream if you like, I personally prefer the flavor of both together.
Add-ins (add only one)
2/3 cup mini or regular size chocolate chips
3/4 cup frozen mixed berries or blueberries (still frozen)
1/2 cup chopped fresh, sliced strawberries, drained
3/4 cup finely chopped cranberries, tossed with 1 T sugar, + 1/3 cup chopped pecans
2/3 cup chopped fresh (or frozen) rhubarb tossed in 1 T sugar. This tastes great with a simple streusel topping (gf baking mix or flour mixed with a little softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 26gProtein: 5g