Tired of your hot dog bun falling apart?? You’re going to LOVE these soft and easy-to-make gluten free hot dog buns that hold together!
this post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I will receive a small comission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Life After Wheat so I can continue to bring you free recipes!
If you’re gluten free, you understand what it’s like to try to eat a hot dog or hamburger without a fork. The struggle is real my friend! Why do all gluten free things have to fall apart???
Well, they don’t! If you’re tired of dry, crumbly, and sub-par hamburger buns or hot dog buns, then you’re going to love this recipe for gluten free hot dog buns!
I have spent the past 8 years perfecting gluten free bread, rolls, and buns. I tweaked my hamburger bun recipe slightly to make a light and fluffy hot dog bun that holds together through the last bite.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE HAMBURGER BUNS?
This recipe is pretty simple. The most important ingredient is the gluten free flour you’ll use, and I strongly suggest using gfJules because it performs SO well in this recipe! It is my go-to for all yeast breads/rolls, because it gives a higher rise and a light and fluffy texture. You can find it on gfJules.com or on Amazon.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- gluten free flour see above
- yeast be sure it’s gluten free! I prefer instant yeast for a quicker rise
- powdered milk you can leave this out if you’re dairy free
- oil use a neutral-tasting oil like avocado or canola
- water use water that is just warmer than room temp. if your water is too cool, it won’t activate the yeast and your rolls won’t rise as well (or will take longer). Water too hot will kill the yeast and inhibit rise as well
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE HOT DOG BUNS
You’ll be surprised at how easy these are to make! Here are the steps:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix.
Shape into buns.
Rise, and bake.
I bought a mini baguette pan from Amazon which is the perfect size for hot dog buns and made the prettiest buns! Absolutely worth the purchase price in my opinion. You can see the difference the pan made in the picture below.
This recipe makes 6 gluten free hot dog buns, but the pan only holds 4 so I’ll be purchasing another one.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I strongly suggest using gfJules because it performs SO well in this recipe! It is my go-to for all yeast breads/rolls, because it gives a higher rise and a light and fluffy texture. You can find it on gfJules.com or on Amazon.
I haven’t tried yet, if you do, please come back and comment to let everyone know how it worked! Your feedback is so appreciated.
Yep! Just leave out the powdered milk and brush the buns with a dairy free butter.
These hot dog buns are great for BBQs and other get-togethers, so be sure to save this recipe along with my gluten free hamburger buns for later!
WAIT! Don’t lose this recipe – Pin for later!
MAKING THIS RECIPE?
We would love to know what you think! Snap a photo and tag @LifeAfterWheat on social.
Leaving a star rating on this recipe post or leaving a comment below helps more people find this recipe, and we so appreciate your support!
- 3 cups gluten free flour (I used gfJules, see notes)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup instant powdered milk (omit if dairy free)
- 1/4 cup oil (I used avocado)
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 1/4 cups water, just warmer than room temp
- Measure gluten free flour by stirring, scooping into a measuring cup, and leveling off.
- Combine all ingredients in bowl of stand mixer (you can use hand mixer if needed) and mix with paddle attachment on low until combined, then on medium-low for 1 full minute.
- Lightly coat your work space with oil and turn dough out, then roll to coat the dough with oil.
- Divide into 6 equal pieces and roll each into a hot dog bun shape.
- Place the shaped dough into a hot dog bun pan, or a few inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 20-30 minutes until double in size. I use the rapid proof option on my oven.
- Brush with melted butter if you want (this will help with browning) and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until starting to brown and done all the way through. Note that they won't brown much.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Like all freshly baked breads, these hot dog buns are best served fresh! You can store leftovers in a sealed plastic bag on the counter for up to 2 days, or in the freezer for longer. When you're ready to eat, just microwave for a bit to thaw/soften.
- Always measure gluten free flour by stirring, scooping into a measuring cup, and leveling off.
- I use, and highly recommend, gfJules gluten free flour for this recipe because it always yields the best results. If you're looking for other options, you can try Namaste, Better Batter or Cup4Cup but be advised that the texture won't be the same.
- To make this recipe dairy free, omit the instant powdered milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 389mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g