The BEST Rice Krispie Treats recipe you’ll find, with the perfect combination of butter, marshmallows, and vanilla. Options for gluten free rice krispie treats and dairy free rice krispie treats.
Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make and every kid loves them. Heck, every adult loves them! The buttery marshmallow goodness is just too good to pass up, especially when they are homemade.
We have tested and modified this recipe at least a dozen times to develop the BEST Rice Krispie Treats recipe – with the perfect ratio of butter, marshmallows, and vanilla.
The cooking method is just as important as the ingredients themselves, so be sure to read and follow the instructions. They aren’t complicated in any way, but might be slightly different than how you have made them in the past.
Because this is a gluten free blog, you might be asking…
Are Rice Krispies gluten free?
The answer is NO. Kelloggs Rice Krispies are not gluten free because they contain malt, which (more specifically) is barley malt. Because gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley, all three of those items must be completely avoided when you are on a gluten free diet.
We have found that some alternatives to Rice Krispies are not as good as others, especially the texture. But there are some great options! Here is a list of our favorite gluten free crispy rice cereals:
- Malt-O-Meal. This is labeled gluten free, but not certified gluten free. My husband has EOE and has not had any reactions (we eat it all the time), but please consult the label and do what you feel is best for your individual health. We like this option because we can buy a big bag at Walmart and it is inexpensive.
- Back to Nature Sprout and Shine crispy rice cereal. This is a safe gluten free crispy rice cereal option. It is certified gluten free and made with sprouted brown rice (healthier, too!). The price tag is steeper, but might well be worth it if you need to avoid any chance of cross-contamination. We have bought this kind at Smith’s (Kroger) and online.
- Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal is a certified gluten free option. We have found it at our local natural grocery store (Good Earth), and you can also purchase on Amazon.
Do you have a favorite gluten free crispy rice cereal we haven’t mentioned? Share in the comments below!
Now on to the important part:
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats
First, gather and measure ingredients. Keep the extra marshmallows separate, you’ll be adding them in at the end and will want to have them handy.This recipe comes together quickly so you’ll want to have everything ready.
Lightly grease your pan. I really like the brand Good Cook and almost always use their 9 x 13″ pan and wooden spoon for this recipe. I linked to both in the recipe card below if you’re interested in ordering either from Amazon.
Melt butter and marshmallows together. Stir with a sturdy spoon (I love the wooden spoon from Good Cook featured in the photo above) until everything is melted and smooth.
Remove the pan from heat and stir in the vanilla and extra marshmallows. Because the mixture is now starting to cool off, these marshmallows won’t melt completely, leaving small pieces of soft marshmallows throughout your rice krispie treats. This step really takes the recipe up a notch!
Add crispy rice cereal (see notes on that above or in the recipe card). Go ahead and dump it all in, then stir with a sturdy spoon until it’s thoroughly combined.
Spread into prepared pan, pressing down gently. Don’t pack it in, you want these bars to be nice and gooey and light.
Rice Krispie Treats can be enjoyed right away, but they will be easier to cut if you allow them a few minutes to cool.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
This rice krispie treats recipe is so easy, there really isn’t a way to mess it up. But let me tell you that adding the extra marshmallows in the end makes allllll the difference!
More Amazing Gluten Free Dessert Recipes:
The Best Chewy Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from My Gluten-Free Kitchen – we make these all the time!
Nutella Rice Krispie Treats– perfect for pot lucks or get-togethers!
Easy Cake Mix Gluten Free Pistachio Cake
Flourless Tahini Brownies
MAKING THIS RECIPE??? We love to hear about it!
>>>Snap a photo, and tag @LifeAfterWheat on social media
>>>Comment on the post to let us know how you liked it!
>>>We would love for you to leave a 5 *star* rating below if you loved this recipe. Leaving a rating helps others find this recipe – thanks for sharing the gluten free love!
- Lightly grease a 9x13" pan. A short spritz of cooking spray or a quick brushing of butter will do.
- In a large pot, melt butter and 15 oz marshmallows over medium heat. Stir frequently until everything is melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and 1 cup marshmallows, then add gluten free crispy rice cereal until evenly combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan, patting down gently with a lightly greased spatula.
- Let sit for 20 minutes to make it easier to cut. Store any leftovers wrapped in plastic wrap, or in an airtight container.
- For dairy free, use an alternative in stick form.
- While any old vanilla will do, real vanilla tastes better than imitation vanilla and Mexican vanilla is always best. We have linked to our favorite Mexican vanilla below if you would like to check it out.
- See the blog post for gluten free alternatives to Rice Krispies.
- Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal, Gluten Free, Organic, 10 oz
- Mexican Vanilla Blend By Molina Vainilla, 33.3 Oz / 1000 Ml (Vanillin Extract) by Molina Vanilla
- Good Cook AirPerfect Nonstick Oblong Cake Pan, 13 x 9", Gray
- Good Cook 10500 Gourmet Beechwood Spoon with Colored Handle Wood
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 159 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 114mg Carbohydrates: 29g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 15g Protein: 1g