Raise your hand if you love dinners the whole family enjoys, and are also a snap to make. If both your hands went up, then this recipe is definitely for you.
Before food allergies, GFHubs and I frequented a local Chinese restaurant that served the best Sweet and Sour Chicken. Missing out on this was one of the first things that was really hard for us after he was diagnosed. I know there are some safe places to get Chinese food (P.F. Chang’s is a great gluten free option!) but the addition of a soy allergy makes it pretty much impossible to find possibilities. So we knew what we had to do. I’m sure if you have celiac or food allergies/sensitivities, you’ve done the same thing over and over in your attempt to keep some normalcy and enjoy the foods you, your spouse, or your kids used to love. We made our own. And let me tell you that this recipe has quickly become a favorite! I’m sure you all know that I’m a huge fan of easy and simple, and this recipe is just that. If you’re an experienced cook who knows your way around the kitchen, this recipe can easily be done in 30 minutes, and (bonus!) you’ll only need 1 pan (less dishes=happiness).
So forget the takeout, and bring great Chinese food to your table with this Sweet and Sour Chicken your entire family will be able to enjoy.
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Adapted from justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com
*gluten-free *soy-free *dairy-free *egg-free *oat-free
You can make this in the crock pot by following the directions through step 8 and then putting all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low several hours, until ready to eat. For last 30 minutes of cooking add corn starch/water to thicken.
3 T olive or canola oil
3/4 cup Corn Starch
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt
4 chicken breasts.
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 cup Chicken Broth
2 T Worcestershire Sauce (we use Lea and Perrins which is gf in the US)
1/2 cup Ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
1 T corn starch + 1 T water
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Combine 3/4 cup corn starch, pepper and garlic salt on a plate or large piece of foil next to your heating pan.
- Dip chicken breasts in corn starch one at a time, making sure they are fully covered.
- Place chicken in pan and top with lid.
- Thoroughly brown chicken on both sides, total of about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Combine sugar, vinegar, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup in a quart size jar or bowl. Whisk or shake well to combine.
- When chicken is browned, remove to plate or cutting board and slice.
- Return to pan and pour sauce over top.
- Cook over medium-low heat, covered (should be on a low boil) for about 10 more minutes until chicken is done.
- Combine 1 T corn starch and water and stir into chicken/sauce.
- Heat until thickened.
- Serve over rice or wrapped in a tortilla.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I will receive compensation. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too!