If you like chocolate, then you’re going to loooove this cool and refreshing version of a chocolate cream pie! It’s a show-stopping dessert that takes less than 20 minutes to make, but will have everyone asking for seconds.
This post may contain affiliate links. When you purchase something through one of these links, I receive a small comission which helps me to bring you more FREE content. Everything I link to is either personally vetted by me (most of these items are), or something I have researched and think my own family would enjoy. Thank you so much for supporting Life After Wheat!
If you’ve seen my other pie recipes, then you know how much I love pies! My love for pies is deeply rooted in childhood memories of making dozens of pies from scratch with my mom and aunt during the Thanksgiving holiday.
While I love the art of making a buttery and flaky pie crust, I equally enjoy the art of a quick and easy pie that can be made ahead of time!
Enter: The Ice Cream Pie.
Ice cream pies are ridiculously easy to make, just grab a pre-made gluten free graham crust, fill with softened ice cream, add a few delicious toppings and voila! Pie.
They (obviously) freeze great so they’re easy to make ahead of time so you can just put your feet up on Thanksgiving day.
This Gluten Free Chocolate Chip and Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie is a knock-off of the grasshopper pie my brother makes every Thanksgiving, because chocolate + mint is his fav flavor combo.
If you can relate, then feel free to swap out mint chocolate chip ice cream in this recipe!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM PIE?
- Gluten free chocolate cookie crust
- Chocolate chip ice cream (make sure it’s gluten free!)
- Fun toppings (include any or all of the following): Whipped Cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge or chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings
HOW DO I MAKE THE GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST?
Good news: you don’t have to! While you are welcome to make your own gluten free chocolate cookie crust, I always just pick up a Mi-Del ready-made crust.
WHAT KIND OF ICE CREAM SHOULD I USE?
Any kind of ice cream will do, just make sure it’s gluten free (see FAQ’s below)
Of course, in this recipe I’ll be using a simple chocolate chip or mint chocolate chip ice cream, but feel free to sub out any similar vanilla-and-chocolate ice cream you enjoy!
For a fun Christmas pie, try using this homemade peppermint ice cream!
HOW DO I MAKE GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM PIE?
Pie really doesn’t get any easier than this! Here are the steps:
- Have your gluten free chocolate cookie crust ready.
- Thaw the ice cream until it is soft, but not melted.
- Scoop the ice cream into the pie crust.
- Freeze until firm.
- When you’re ready to serve your chocolate chip ice cream pie, let it sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes before serving so it is easier to slice.
- Use a sharp knife, like a butcher knife, to slice the pie. Once it is on serving plates, add a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel and chocolate sauce, and any other toppings you wish.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I know what ice cream is gluten free?
Best answer: read the label. Some ice creams are certified gluten free or at least have the statement “gluten free” on the package. If you aren’t sure whether an ice cream is safe or not, visit their website or call them!
Can I make this chocolate chip ice cream pie dairy free?
I haven’t tried it, but it would be super easy to do by subbing your favorite dairy free ice cream! Mi-Del crusts are currently free from the top 8 allergens so they’re already dairy free.
WAIT! Don’t lose this post! Save this image on Pinterest
MAKING THIS RECIPE???
We would love to know what you think! Snap a photo and tag @LifeAfterWheat on social.
- 1 gluten free chocolate cookie crust
- 1/2 gallon gluten free chocolate chip ice cream
- Any or all of the following (be sure they're gluten free): Whipped cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge or chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings
- Thaw the ice cream 5-10 minutes until it is soft, but not melted.
- Scoop all the ice cream into the pie crust.
- Freeze until firm.
- Let the pie sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes before serving so it is easier to slice.
- Use a sharp knife dipped in hot water to slice the pie. Once it is on serving plates, add a dollop of whipped cream, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce or hot fudge sauce, and chocolate shavings.
- Store in the freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mi-Del GF Pie Crust, Chocolate Snaps, 7.1 Oz (12 Pk)
Torani Sauce 3 Pack Chocolate, Caramel, White Chocolate 16.5 Oz with New Packaging
Gorilla Grip Premium Ice Cream Scoop, Dishwasher Safe Scooper with Comfortable Grip Handle, Heavy Duty Durable Design, Professional Kitchen Tool Perfect for Gelato, Cookie Dough, Sorbet, Gray