Blueberry Lemonade is a fun flavor twist on this traditional summer drink! You’ll love the easy recipe, beautiful color, and subtle hints of blueberry. We’ll also show you the secrets to making really good lemonade – without a lot of extra work!
Lemonade is the trademark drink of summer. You can it at just about any restaurant, in many variations. Lemonade stands pop up on various street corners all summer long, serving anything from Country Time lemonade to the real deal freshly squeezed from juicy lemons.
I’m not exactly sure why we all love lemonade, but I have to say I blend right in with the crowd – lemonade is probably my #1 drink during the summer…and possibly all year long!
Lucky for me, I’m not the only one who loves the tart-sweet drink – I passed along that gene to every one of my 4 kids 😉 9 times out of 10, all members of our family will order lemonade when getting a drink at a restaurant. The other 10% is either Root Beer or a diet Coke, but that’s a conversation for another day!
My family (especially the husband) often jokes that I never make the same recipe twice. While that’s not entirely true (I test recipes for this site at least 2 or 3 times, usually more), I really don’t like repetition. I only see a movie once, read a book once…you get the idea. So while we all love a classic homemade lemonade and my original Iced Watermelon Lemonade, lemonade is constantly getting a makeover at our house!
The newest addition? This beautiful Blueberry Lemonade.
First things first. through all my experimenting, I’ve found that there are a few secrets to a really good lemonade.
- Fresh ingredients. Of course, you can use bottled lemon juice in a pinch (I’ve done this a few times), but fresh will always taste best! So if you can manage to get your hands on fresh lemons, it’s worth the extra effort.
- Simple Syrup. Simple syrup is…well…super simple! All you need to do is heat sugar and water until the sugar is dissolved. Yep, that’s it! While it doesn’t add much effort on your part, it gives the lemonade a smooth and consistent texture and flavor. So don’t be tempted to skip this step, I promise it’s worth it!
- Lots of ice. Because lemonade should be cool and refreshing! This recipe and others you will see soon are a little strong if you drink them straight. That’s because they’re meant to be poured over a glass of ice without lending a watered-down taste. That means one batch of this lemonade can easily serve 6-8 people.
So take your Lemonade Stand…or your Company Party…or your Neighborhood BBQ…or your next family dinner to the next level! We have served this Blueberry Lemonade to a variety of guests and they have all declared it their favorite; even our 2 kids who don’t even like blueberries declared this flavor their first choice!
Also worth noting is that you can make this recipe ahead of time. It keeps in the fridge for a good 2 or 3 days and still tastes just as good as did fresh.
Hope you enjoy it! -Celeste
Blueberry Lemonade is a fun flavor twist on this traditional summer drink! You'll love the easy recipe, beautiful color, and subtle hints of blueberry. We'll also show you the secrets to making really good lemonade - without a lot of extra work!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups water - divided
- 6 oz fresh blueberries
- 1 cup lemon juice -fresh is best but you can use bottled
FOR SIMPLE SYRUP:
- Combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved (takes just a few minutes) stirring frequently so the sugar doesn't burn.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup of the water with the blueberries in a blender and puree thoroughly. We use the juice setting on our Blendtec.
- Pour juice through a mesh strainer into a large pitcher. Discard the pulp in the strainer.
- To the juice in the pitcher, add the simple syrup (it's ok if it's still a bit warm, you'll be serving this over ice), lemon juice, and remaining 4 cups water.
- Stir until combined and refrigerate until ready to serve. When serving, pour over a glass filled with ice (the lemonade is made a little strong so the ice won't give it a watered-down taste) and ENJOY!
- Blueberry Lemonade will stay good in the fridge for 2-3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Blendtec Total Classic Original Blender - Fourside Jar (75 oz), Professional-Grade Power-6 Pre-Programmed Cycles-10-Speeds, Black
Top Rated Zulay Premium Quality Metal Lemon Lime Squeezer - Manual Citrus Press Juicer
Bormioli Rocco Hermetic Seal Glass Pitcher With Lid and Spout [68 Ounce] Great for Homemade Juice & Cold Tea or for Glass Milk Bottles
Cuisinart Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
Goodcook 1/2 Gallon Plastic Straining Pitcher Square Lid with 3 Strainers and Close No Spill, Dishwasher Safe, Clear and Red
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 15mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 0g
Thursday 18th of April 2019
Ooo..this color is divine. Sounds delish!
Friday 29th of March 2019
Blueberries are finally in season in Florida! I can't wait to try out this blueberry lemonade. It looks so refreshing!
Saturday 2nd of March 2019
Sigh...some snow left on the ground here so I'm looking for sunny pick me ups! LOVE BLUEBERRY LEMONADE and can't wait for some warm weather to give it a go. Just can't wait for warm weather :-)
Friday 6th of July 2018
This looks so refreshing! Gorgeous pictures too!
Monday 9th of July 2018
Thank you so much! -Celeste