I was first introduced to coconut rice while on a girl’s night out at a favorite Mexican restaurant, and with the first bite I knew it would have to be recreated at home so I could eat it all.the.time. The trick to perfect coconut rice? Just the right ratio of coconut milk to water. This took a few goes to achieve but was well worth the wait! A perfectly subtle and ever-so-slightly sweet flavor sets this rice at a whole different level than your classic side dish.It is perfect on its own, served warm with a little brown sugar and milk, sprinkled on a taco salad or served alongside Tacos or Thai Peanut Wraps. There are so many ways to enjoy it, the possibilities are endless!
*gluten-free *soy-free *egg-free *dairy-free *oat-free
- If you aren’t a fan of almonds or don’t have any on hand, simply leave them out.
- You can make this with many different types of rice, but basmati is by far our favorite.
- 1/2 T olive oil (or canola or grapeseed)
- 1 cup Rice (we like white basmati)
- 2/3 cup full fat Coconut Milk
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 T sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup dry roasted, sliced almonds
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add rice, and saute 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Stir in coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt. Cover, return to boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork or spoon and stir in, or sprinkle with, sliced almonds if you want. You can also garnish with coconut.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links I will receive monetary compensation, which I use for blogging fees and other fees and equipment to support this blog. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too!