I was first introduced to coconut rice while on a girl’s night out at a favorite Mexican restaurant, and with the first bite I knew it would have to be recreated at home so I could eat it all.the.time.
The trick to perfect coconut rice? Just the right ratio of coconut milk to water. This took a few goes to achieve but was well worth the wait!
A perfectly subtle and ever-so-slightly sweet flavor sets this rice at a whole different level than your classic side dish.
We also love serving coconut rice alongside Indian dishes like this dairy free chicken tikka massala There are so many ways to enjoy it, the possibilities are endless!
*gluten-free *soy-free *egg-free *dairy-free *oat-free
- If you aren’t a fan of almonds or don’t have any on hand, simply leave them out.
- You can make this with many different types of rice, but basmati is by far our favorite.
- 1/2 T olive oil (or canola or grapeseed)
- 1 cup Rice (we like white basmati)
- 2/3 cup full fat Coconut Milk
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 T sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4 cup dry roasted, sliced almonds
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add rice, and saute 2 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Stir in coconut milk, water, sugar, and salt. Cover, return to boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork or spoon and stir in, or sprinkle with, sliced almonds if you want. You can also garnish with coconut.