All you’ll need to make these Gluten Free Donuts are a few simple ingredients, a bowl, and a spoon! They’re naturally grain free, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, and bursting with pumpkin spice flavor!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see full disclosure.
A truly good recipe for gluten free donuts can be elusive, but here you’ll find a tried-and-true recipe that is so easy, even the kids can make it!
While you can make baked donuts in just about any flavor, we chose pumpkin because it’s one of our favorites! This recipe also happens to be healthy, although no one would guess!
These donuts are naturally sweetened and packed with healthy fats, pumpkin, and almond flour, so you don’t have to feel guilty making them for breakfast or an after school snack.
Whether you reserve pumpkin-flavored treats for the final few months of the year or you’re a Pumpkin-All-Year-Round kind of person, we think you’ll love this easy and healthy recipe for gluten free and paleo donuts.
We love making baked donuts because there is little clean up, and they are healthier. The first thing you’ll need to make baked donuts is a donut pan like this one.
If this is your first time making baked donuts, you can purchase a simple donut pan at a local store (try Walmart) or online. We like the one shown and linked to above because it is sturdy and inexpensive.
This recipe makes 6 donuts which will fit in just one pan, but we like to double the recipe so it’s nice to have 2 pans and bake them all at the same time.
The kids beg us to make these gluten free Donuts All.The.Time and we don’t mind obliging because they are quick and easy to make, and secretly healthy!
How to Make Gluten Free Donuts
Making baked donuts is soooo easy, you’re gonna love it!
First step, gather your ingredients. These donuts will come together super quick, and only require a few simple ingredients.
This recipe is literally dump and stir. You’ll whisk together your wet ingredients, stir in the dry ingredients, fill the donut pan, then bake.
The best way to transfer batter to the donut pan is to use a pastry bag (you can use a sturdy quart size ziploc if you don’t have a pastry bag), snip off the tip, and squeeze in the circle to form your donut.
Once the donuts are baked, let them cool in the pan for a few minutes, then loosen the edges with a spatula and transfer to cooling racks.
Tips for Making the BEST Baked Donuts:
Making baked donuts is super easy and fairly fail-proof, but here are a few simple hacks to help you be successful:
- When measuring flour, always stir, scoop into your measuring cup, and level off. Be careful not to pack the flour into the measuring cup. If you’re using almond flour to make paleo donuts like this recipe, use a spoon or fork to gently break up any lumps of almond flour.
- Whisk the wet ingredients thoroughly until everything is well combined. You don’t want any egg-y bites of donut! When you stir in the dry ingredients, mix just until combined and don’t overdo it.
- Dress it up a little! It’s easy to customize these gluten free donuts to fit your family’s taste preferences. Top with glaze, roll in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, or add a handful of chocolate chips before baking. Get creative!
These Pumpkin Spice Donuts have enough flavor to stand on their own without any kind of topping, but feel free to dress them up a bit! Use any of the following ideas:
- Use the paleo glaze recipe included in the printable below
- Stir a handful of your choice of chocolate chips into the batter. We like Enjoy Life Foods mini chocolate chips which are free from the top 8 allergens. If you’re looking for a paleo option, we’ve linked to Lily’s paleo chocolate chips in the recipe card below.
- Top with a Chocolate Tahini Drizzle!
- Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 3 T tahini. Drizzle over donuts and lick your fingers 🙂
- When donuts are cool, roll them in either powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar (they will no longer be paleo)
More Amazing Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes:
If you’re looking for more paleo/low carb recipes, check out one of our favorite blogs Four Score Living!
MAKING THESE GLUTEN FREE DONUTS??? We love to hear about it!
>>>Snap a photo, and tag @LifeAfterWheat on social media
>>>Comment on the post to let us know how you liked it!
>>>We would love for you to leave a 5 *star* rating below if you loved this recipe. Leaving a rating helps others find this recipe – thanks for sharing the gluten free love!
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 T oil (we used avocado)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice optional
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease your donut pan(s) -
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, pumpkin, oil, and honey.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk just until smooth.
- Scrape batter into a pastry bag or quart size Ziploc and snip off the corner. Squeeze the batter into the pan (each donut cavity should be about 2/3 full)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then use a spatula to loosen the edges of each donut and turn out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before topping (see notes for topping ideas!)
- Store leftovers in the fridge, or freeze individually on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag.
- This recipe can be doubled to make a total of 12 donuts.
- If you want, you can add a handful of chocolate chips with the dry ingredients.
- These pumpkin spice donuts are great as-is, but you can top with any of the following!
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup arrowroot starch, 2 T maple syrup, and 1/4 cup coconut cream (refrigerate a can of coconut cream and use the solids on top)
CHOCOLATE TAHINI DRIZZLE
In a small saucepan, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we love Enjoy Life Foods) and 3 T tahini.
Once the donuts are cool, roll in either powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar. NOTE: these will no longer be paleo 🙂
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Kirkland Signature Almond Flour Blanched California Superfine, 3 Pounds
- Enjoy Life Semi-sweet Chocolate Mini Chips Pck of 2 (Packaging may vary)
- Premium Dark Chocolate Baking Chips by Lily's Sweets |Stevia Sweetened, No Added Sugar, Low-Carb, Keto Friendly | 55% Cacao | Fair Trade, Vegan, Gluten-Free & Non-GMO | 9 oz, 3 Pack
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 17gProtein: 8g