If you’re searching for healthy snacks for kids this Summer, DIY fruit kabobs are the perfect thing to make! Kids will love assembling their own, and you’ll love that they’re allergy friendly. Give the kids something fun and nutritious to snack on!
Looking for a fun and healthy summer snack for the kids? These DIY fruit kabobs are a always a hit! We’re constantly looking for healthier treats for the kids to enjoy during the hot summer months, and fruit is always a great option! Letting the kids pick out which fruits to buy in addition to assembling the kabobs themselves makes it a fun project that everyone will enjoy. We also love serving the kabobs with a simple and healthier fruit dip that’s easy to customize because we think dip makes everything a little more fun 😉
You can use red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple fruits to make a rainbow kabob like we did, OR use red, white, and blue fruits for the 4th of July, OR simply use the fruit you have on hand. A fun twist would be adding brownies to the kabobs because…everything is better with chocolate 😉 The kids will love assembling and eating them no matter how the finished product looks 😉
Adding a fruit dip is a fun twist that will encourage even your picky eaters to have a taste, and it’s even a great side dish for adults! This is the EASIEST fruit dip you’ll ever make. I got the recipe from a friend who often brings it to our family game night along with a bowl of fresh grapes. Adults and kids alike love it! It’s easy to switch up the flavors so have some fun with it.
To make this fun snack for gluten free guests, be sure to use a space and utensils that have been thoroughly cleaned with soap and water. Have all the guests wash hands before assembly and use ingredients that are labelled gluten free. Kraft brand Cool Whip is typically considered safe by the gluten free community as a result of Kraft’s stringent labeling rules, but always check with the child’s parents to be sure. It’s also easy to make these dairy free by using a dairy free yogurt in place of the dip (Silk is our favorite brand and it comes in several different flavors, please note that it’s made with soy, in case there are any soy allergies)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Assorted fruit
- Wooden skewers
- 2 single serving cartons of yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- 1 small carton Cool Whip, thawed
- Garnish (optional)
Here are a few fun flavor combos for the dip:
- Pina Colada: use Pina Colada yogurt and garnish with toasted coconut
- Strawberries and Cream: Strawberry yogurt
- Pot O’ Gold: Vanilla yogurt garnished with orange zest
- Lemon Cream Pie: Lemon yogurt garnished with lemon zest
- Make the dip by folding the yogurt into the Cool Whip. Transfer it to a cute serving bowl and top with garnish if you want.
- Wash and prepare the fruit, cutting any fruit that isn’t already bite-sized into 1 inch chunks.
- To make the assembly kid friendly, arrange the fruit in small bowls or platters in the order the kids should put them on the skewers.
- Make sure your wooden skewers are free from splinters.
- Finally, the fun begins! Assemble in a rainbow pattern. Use red, white, and blue fruit for the 4th of July, or just use the fruit you have on hand. Get creative!
This post was originally published on Design Dazzle on June 13, 2017