We have this conundrum at our house. We’re breakfast lovers: at our place, it’s always a great time for pancakes, crepes, waffles, French toast, muffins, you name it. The problem? we’re also dessert lovers. How do you justify eating a slice of cake after eating a smaller…slice of cake…drowned in syrup? Yeah, that’s a toughie.
Well I’ve found the solution! Here’s a way to have your PIE and eat it, too!
Enter Pumpkin Pie French Toast. It’s like Pumpkin Pie and Breakfast got married and had a baby. And this baby IS drenched in melting whipped cream and buttery homemade syrup and absolutely I.R.R.E.S.I.S.T.I.B.L.E.
Pumpkin Pie French Toast
*gluten-free *soy-free *nut-free *oat-free
French Toast Ingredients
- 2 large eggs
- 3 T pumpkin puree
- 1 T milk
- 1/2 T sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 4-6 slices gluten free bread (we used Franz)
Buttermilk Syrup Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (store bought or make your own)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- For the syrup: Combine butter, sugar, and buttermilk in a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and mixture comes to a gentle simmer. Reduce heat so it is barely at a simmer, and continue to cook until it is slightly thickened and syrupy. When you are ready to serve, remove from heat and add baking soda while stirring. Mixture will bubble up quite a bit, which is why you use a large pan. Stir well and add the vanilla.
- Preheat griddle to 275° F.
- For the French toast, whisk eggs in a large container or pie plate. Beat thoroughly so the eggs are very smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk until completely smooth.
- Generously butter your griddle, and dip one slice of bread into the egg mixture, then flip so that both sides are completely coated. Place on the griddle and repeat with remaining slices of bread until the egg mixture is gone.
- Cook until the bottom is golden brown and batter is set, then flip and cook the other side until it is golden and set as well.
- Remove to a plate, top with whipped cream, syrup, and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon if you want. Dig in!
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through these links, I will receive compensation. As always, I only link to products that we use and love and therefore think you will love, too!