One of the challenges after gfHubs started a gluten (and soy, and oat) free lifestyle was making foods the whole family would enjoy. It is simply too much hassle and time to make two different versions of everything with 6 hungry mouths to feed, so I knew I would have to up my game and figure out how to make adult AND kid friendly gluten free dishes.
I know a lot of you are in the same boat. And the great news is that gluten free really can taste great! You can serve it to your kids, your roommates, your non-gluten-free spouse. You can take gluten free dishes to potlucks, parties, and family get-togethers and you will come home with an empty platter because (sshhh!) no one will even notice they’re gluten free.
The Pizzadilla is likely one of our kids’ favorite gluten free dishes. It combines 2 of the ultimate kid-friendly dishes: Quesadillas + Pizza. Seriously people, it’s a win-win. Our kids love Udi’s tortillas anyway, so it was a given that they are what we used. They are soft and pliable like regular wheat tortillas, and don’t have a funky taste.
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s fully customizable-change up the toppings to whatever you (or your kids) like! Sub out Canadian bacon and pineapple for the other toppings to create a Hawaiian pizza, use gluten free Alfredo sauce and chicken instead of the marinara and pepperoni. Not a meat lover? Stuff your Pizzadilla with fresh veggies! However you make it, it’s sure to be a favorite you’ll come back to again and again.
- 2 Gluten Free Tortillas (we use Udi's)
- 2 tablespoons Prepared Marinara, Alfredo, or other pizza sauce
- 1 Tablespoon oil for frying
- 1/4 cup meat: pepperoni, canadian bacon, grilled chicken or steak;
- 1/4 cup veggies: Finely chopped zucchini, sliced olives, spinach, red onion, any color bell peppers, thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese: pizza blend, mozzerella, or even cheddar works great
- Place a tortilla on a plate or cutting board.
- Spread sauce of choice evenly over tortilla and sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Layer whatever toppings you want and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Heat oil in a large skillet just under medium heat. When it's up to temp, carefully place prepared Pizzadilla in the skillet. Cover and cook until tortilla is a golden brown underneath and cheese has begun to melt. Watch it carefully! Carefully flip and finish cooking, uncovered, until cheese is melted and other side is a light golden brown.
- Remove from heat, slice, and enjoy!
Feel free to adjust amounts based on your preference.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2329Total Fat: 124gSaturated Fat: 51gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 59gCholesterol: 573mgSodium: 3303mgCarbohydrates: 134gFiber: 17gSugar: 21gProtein: 172g