Prepared vegan pudding is the secret to making these soft vegan sugar cookies that are also gluten free – the dough is easy to work with and they just melt in your mouth!
This post was sponsored by Vivian’s Live Again. As always, I only work with brands I love and use in my own kitchen. Thank you for supporting Life After Wheat and brands I partner with! This post may also contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure.
I would love to introduce you to the secret ingredient in these soft and delightful gluten free and vegan sugar cookies! Would you have guessed that it’s pudding?
I first tried Vivian’s Live Again vegan/gluten free pudding at a Farmer’s Market in Cache Valley (Northern Utah). I couldn’t believe it was dairy free because it was so creamy and, well, pudding-like 🙂
Although our family doesn’t have to avoid dairy, I often try to find subs for the recipes I create because I know a lot of you do have to avoid it (or choose to do so). I picked up a few of her pudding mixes at the farmer’s market, and began experimenting.
The ingredients that thicken the pudding also act as a binding agent, making it the perfect substitute for the egg normally called for in this recipe.
Adding prepared pudding instead of milk to these vegan sugar cookies also adds a wonderful vanilla flavor and a soft, fluffy texture.
The results are delicious! These cookies passed the test with my hubby and allll the kiddos. in fact, it was difficult to keep their cute chubby fingers off these cookies long enough to snap photos.
Feel free to use any prepared pudding that is vegan and gluten free – you can even make your own. Just make sure the pudding isn’t runny.
- 1/3 cup gluten free and vegan shortening or butter substitute, room temp (I've used Spectrum shortening and Earth Balance sticks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup prepared Vivian's Live Again vegan Vanilla Pudding
- 1 3/4 cup high quality gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make Vivian's Live Again Vanilla Pudding according to package directions. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge while you start the recipe.
- Cream shortening or vegan butter substitute with sugar for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla and 1/2 cup of prepared Vivian's Live Again Pudding and mix another 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix for 1 minute. Dough should be slightly sticky. If it seems to dry, you can add additional pudding or dairy free milk 1/2 Tablespoon at a time until it is the right consistency.
- At this point, you can refrigerate the dough up to 4 days, or continue:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out about 1/4" thick and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes. They are done when they appear set and are just beginning to turn a light golden brown on the bottom edges.
- Remove from oven and cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack. Frost and decorate!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g