Prepared vegan pudding is the secret to making these soft vegan sugar cookies that are also gluten free – the dough is easy to work with and they just melt in your mouth!
This post was sponsored by Vivian’s Live Again. As always, I only work with brands I love and use in my own kitchen. Thank you for supporting Life After Wheat and brands I partner with! This post may also contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure.
I would love to introduce you to the secret ingredient in these soft and delightful gluten free and vegan sugar cookies! Would you have guessed that it’s pudding?
I first tried Vivian’s Live Again vegan/gluten free pudding at a Farmer’s Market in Cache Valley (Northern Utah). I couldn’t believe it was dairy free! Although our family doesn’t have to avoid dairy, I often try to find subs for the recipes I create because I know a lot of you do have to avoid it (or choose to do so). I picked up a few of her pudding mixes there, and began experimenting.
We’ve made a lot of fun dishes, but this one takes the cake…or cookie 😉 The ingredients that thicken the pudding act as a binding agent, making it the perfect substitute for the egg normally called for in this recipe, while adding prepared pudding instead of milk to these vegan sugar cookies adds a wonderful vanilla flavor and a soft, fluffy texture.
The results are delicious! These cookies passed the test with my hubby and allll the kiddos. in fact, it was difficult to keep their cute chubby fingers off these cookies long enough to snap photos.
Vivian’s Live Again makes a variety of products that are gluten and dairy free. There are 3 pudding flavors that are all vegan as well! We love the chocolate pudding, along with everything else!
Looking for frosting inspiration?
I used this Easy Gluten Free Cookie Icing GF Jules to decorate our vega sugar cookies. You could also use this Easy Homemade American Buttercream from Flippin’ Delicious (use dairy free option on recipe if needed), or Healthier Vanilla Buttercream (lower sugar) from Veggie Balance.
Gluten Free and Vegan Sugar Cookies
Vegan pudding is the secret to making these soft sugar cookies that are vegan and gluten free - the dough is easy to work with and they just melt in your mouth!
- 1/3 cup gluten free and vegan shortening or butter substitute, room temp (I've used Spectrum shortening and Earth Balance sticks)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup prepared Vivian's Live Again Vanilla Pudding
- 1 3/4 cup high quality gluten free flour (I used Thrive and would also recommend Gluten Free Mama's Almond Blend)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Make Vivian's Live Again Vanilla Pudding according to package directions. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge while you start the recipe.
- Cream shortening or vegan butter substitute with sugar for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla and 1/2 cup of prepared Vivian's Live Again Pudding and mix another 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix for 1 minute. Dough should be slightly sticky. If it seems to dry, you can add additional pudding or dairy free milk 1/2 Tablespoon at a time until it is the right consistency.
- At this point, you can refrigerate the dough up to 4 days, or continue:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out about 1/4" thick and cut into desired shapes.
- Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes. They are done when they appear set and are just beginning to turn a light golden brown on the bottom edges.
- Remove from oven and cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack. Frost and decorate!
Use a high quality flour that I've recommended, or one that you know yields good results in cookies.