Popovers are one of our family’s favorites. I am well aware that there should be leftovers when you make a dozen popovers for 5 people but…
Well, would you be able to resist 2nds (or 3rds) of something this beautiful?
Because it’s always been a favorite at our house, I’ve tried many a gluten free variation of the classic popover. Some were alright, some were good, some were blah.
This one totally takes the cake.
There are a few extra steps, but it will only take about 10 more minutes of your time and it is TOTALLY worth it. Promise.
Whether this is your first time trying popovers or you are a popover connoisseur, you will absolutely love these. And, of course, they are gluten free. But no one will be able to tell.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix (I used Grandpa's Kitchen)
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Generously grease insides and top edges of 12 muffin cups, or a popover pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk and barely bring to a boil without stirring.
- Add flour mix all at once and quickly beat with a wooden spoon. You will need to put some muscle into it and beat thoroughly, over medium heat, until mixture forms a ball and is fairly smooth. This takes only a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat thoroughly after each addition until mixture is smooth again.
- Divide batter into the muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes, until popovers are very puffy and have browned well. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Drizzle with honey, sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve with jam, or eat just as they are!
- Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag on the counter for 2-3 days, or in the fridge up to 5 days. Warm up in the microwave for 10-15 seconds on power level 5.
I recommend using Grandpa's Kitchen, Cup4Cup, or Better Batter flour for this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g