Sunday dinner is a big deal at our house. It’s a nice, sit down dinner featuring comfort food and relaxed conversation. The kids look forward to it, knowing they will get something extra nice. Their favorite, and my husband’s too, is meatloaf.
I’ve gone through a few versions of this stuff over the years, and a few more since our gluten-free adventures began. As it turns out, gluten-free bread doesn’t retain moisture the same as the wheat variety (who knew, right? ;)), so if you want a tender meatloaf that holds together, you need another binding agent such as cheese. In this recipe, I opted for parmesan. This meatloaf is tender and has a perfect flavor. We very rarely (never?) have leftovers.
- 1 egg
- 3 Tablespoon gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 3 Tablespoons gluten free BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (I used 90% lean)
- a few dashes pepper and garlic powder
- Additional BBQ sauce for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Beat egg in medium bowl.
- Add soy sauce or coconut aminos, BBQ sauce, cheeses, breadcrumbs, ground beef, pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
- Mix together with your hands until all ingredients are evenly distributed and well combined. Try not to over-mix, though, as this makes the meatloaf tough.
- Pat into a loaf pan or shallow casserole dish, making sure it is packed down evenly.
- Spread additional BBQ sauce evenly over meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 hour, until internal temperature reaches 160° F. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.