Take your Christmas baking to the next level with these Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies! These soft and chewy (and gluten free!) cookies are the perfect addition to any holiday platter.
This post may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure for details. Thank you for supporting Life After Wheat!
Cookies are a classic symbol of the holidays. We bake them with our family, we deliver them to neighbors with holiday well-wishes, bring them to holiday parties and, of course, pile them onto a special plate alongside a glass of milk for Santa himself.
These Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies with Browned Butter are fit for all of the above. They’re not grainy, they’re soft and chewy in the middle and have those delightfully crispy edges.
The browned butter brings a depth of flavor your guests won’t be able to put their finger on, so don’t skip that step!
While these Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies are surely Santa’s fav, your kiddos are going to be just as excited! I mean, you’re combining two all-time favorite kids’ treats: chocolate chip cookies and candy canes!
These cookies have been a tradition our kids have looked forward to every year at Christmas time, and they’re also a personal favorite of yours truly (I’m still a kid at heart 😉 )
Enjoy them warm out of the oven, but they’re also great a day or two later stored in an airtight container. You will get the best results by refrigerating the dough at least overnight (and up to a week)
From our family to yours, we wish you the best this holiday season. We know it can be rough when you have food restrictions and we hope you make the most of it and still enjoy plenty of great food with the people you love most.
Some of my favorite tools and ingredients for this recipe:
- When measuring the flour, stir the flour inside its package first, then scoop into your measuring cup and level off with a knife.
- I used Cup4Cup gluten free flour in this recipe
- To brown butter, cook the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat about 5 minutes without stirring. You’ll want to watch it carefully! Just before it is done it will give off a nutty aroma and the bottom will turn a golden brown color. Remove from heat immediately. For this recipe, you will also allow it to cool at room temperature about an hour until it is a soft solid.
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 T real maple syrup
- 1/2 T vanilla
- 1/2 cup browned butter, cooled until it is a soft solid
- 2 1/2 cups high quality gluten free flour (I used Cup4Cup)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup gluten free chocolate chips (we like dark or semi-sweet)
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes
- On high speed, mix eggs and white sugar for 5 minutes. mixture should be thick and pale yellow.
- Add brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and browned butter and mix on medium speed 1 minute.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix for another minute.
- Stir in chocolate and candy canes.
- These cookies are best if refrigerated 1-2 days, but you can go ahead and bake some if you're anxious! Just be aware you'll get the best appearance and texture if you refrigerate the dough first.
- When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Scoop cookies by tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. Use a cookie scoop or roll slightly so it forms a ball.
- On a cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper, place cookie dough 2 inches apart and bake 7-8 minutes until edges begin to brown. The cookies will cook a little more as they cool.
- Cool for 1-2 minutes on the cookie sheet and remove to a cooling rack.
- You can refrigerate the dough for up to a week, When you're ready to bake the cookies, remove dough from the fridge when you turn the oven on, scoop, and bake.
If your cookie dough seems to thick (it's crumbly or appears thicker than regular cookie dough), add an additional teaspoon of maple syrup or milk until it softens. Next time you make the cookies, be sure you're stirring the flour, scooping into measuring cup, and leveling with a knife so you aren't putting too much flour into the recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 92Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g