With 4 kids, we’re always looking for quick and easy meals, but being a foodie (and a blogger) means I never want to sacrifice on taste! There are those ageless recipes that turn out perfectly the first time, and some take a little tweaking to get them just right, both are equally rewarding and satisfying. And this one is ranked among my personal favorites.
These are a fun twist on regular nachos and feature the fresh taste of cilantro and smokey green chiles, which pair perfectly with the BBQ drizzle. It’s wholesome enough to eat as a meal but can also be served as an appetizer (or a snack!)
These nachos are definitely an open door. Add your favorite beans, refried or otherwise, switch up the type of cheese you use, get creative!
BBQ Chicken Nachos
*gluten-free *soy-free *nut-free *oat-free *egg-free
- If you’re a cilantro lover, feel free to use 1/2 or even 2/3 cup. gfHubs doesn’t care for cilantro but liked the taste of this dish, so don’t be afraid to use it even if you’re not a fan!
- These nachos are highly customizeable. Add more or less cheese, use a different type of cheese, and switch up the type of BBQ sauce if you want.
- 4 thin chicken breasts, or 2 regular size. (I use individually frozen)
- 2 T butter
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- About 1 cup Shredded Mexican style cheese (use more or less to your preference)
- 1/4 C cup sour cream or high quality gluten free ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (we used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Chipotle)
- 1/8 tsp lime juice
- Tortilla chips (THESE and THESE are two of our favorites)
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat (I use an oversized cast iron).
- When skillet is warm, add butter and swirl in pan until melted. Add chicken breasts, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover, and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro, garlic, and green chiles to the chicken and stir. Continue cooking until chicken is done (be sure to thoroughly cook the chicken). Remove chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks.
- While chicken is cooking, Combine sour cream, BBQ sauce, and lime juice. You can whisk together in a bowl, or combine in a squirt bottle or mason jar and shake to mix. Set aside.
- There are two ways to assemble the nachos:
- Preheat oven to 450° F while chicken is cooking. Spread tortilla chips on a large cookie sheet so you have a single layer and they only overlap a little. Top with chicken, then cheese, and bake 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. Don’t overcook or the chicken will dry out. Remove from the oven, drizzle with the prepared BBQ sauce. and top with some additional fresh cilantro.
- Make personal plates by layering chips, chicken, and cheese for 1 on a plate. Microwave on full power just until cheese is melted (it took ours about 15 seconds). drizzle with the prepared BBQ sauce. and top with some additional fresh cilantro.