This recipe is so, so easy and versatile!
Get creative with this one! You can roll it up burrito style, serve it over tortilla chips and top with cheese, green onions, olives, lettuce and salsa for nachos. Or pile it on a bed of lettuce with your favorite toppings and some cilantro ranch dressing (my favorite option for sure!) It’s one of my favorite meals for those crazy days we all have because it’s a comfort food and it’s also quick and easy to serve.
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
*gluten-free *soy-free *oat-free *added sugar-free *dairy free *egg free
- 2 lbs boneless pork roast (I’ve used bone-in also and turned out pretty good)
- (1) 14.5 oz can chicken broth (I used reduced sodium)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro, depending on your taste preference
- Place pork roast in crock pot.
- Pour chicken broth over roast and sprinkle with pepper. The roast should be immersed in broth.
- Cook on low at least 6 hours, preferably 8-10 for a more tender roast.
- If you are able, shred the pork 1-2 hours before you are ready to serve and add the cilantro at that time. This will allow the meat to soak up more of the juices.
- 15 minutes before serving, drain the shredded pork and spread it out in a 9×13″ metal baking pan, or on a cookie sheet. I lined mine with foil for easy clean up! The meat shouldn’t be piled higher than 2 inches for even browning. Put it in the oven immediately.
- Move your oven rack to a high position that is just under the heating element. Broil on high 5-10 minutes, until the pork on top begins to get crispy. Watch it very carefully so as not to burn it or dry it out.
- Remove from the oven and serve on tortillas, lettuce, or tortilla chips!